Radiator install question?

-

myasylum

Reaction score
I'm installing a radiator for the /6 too V-8 swap, and I am installing a new radiator. Of course there are no hole to match so I have to drill new ones.

my question is, does this radiator just sit on that metal frame? Does it sit up a little higher off the metal? or does it sit on a piece of rubber or something?

I was just going to set in it there and start drilling holes, but I'd figure I'd ask first to make sure it's right.

Thanks!

It sits up off the lower support,i dont know how far,never had anything stock,just as long as its not too high where the hood hits the top of the cap.

Yeah,set it up off the frame(a piece of wood under it)mark holes for drilling.Do your drilling(make sure your hood closes first)bolt it up,then pull the wood out.Get er done!

Do the tranny lines go between the engine and the k frame, or under the K frame? I'm afraid I may have done something backwards??

Pics would be cool. I'm using b body tranny lines so it's a bit goofy anyway.

Should I use teflon tape for threads for lines?

Radiator is about 1/4" above support. Transmission lines go between engine and k frame. I ran mine in from the front and it was made more fun by the headers that are in there taking up a big chunk of hand space.

Well, I guess I'll be taking out the lines again. Urgh!

Also, if there isn't a 1/4" gap is it really going to matter? I ah?? Already bolted in the radiator before I checked the post? Whoops!

Teflon tape?

The tape will help. Not a mandorty item, but very helpful. I'd use it.

Just a note regarding use of teflon tape or liquid/paste thread sealer: leave the first thread bare. This goes a long way toward preventing a hunk of the stuff getting loose and clogging something later.

Don't worry about the 1/4" as long as the radiator is not touching except at the mounting flange. You don't want it touching anywhere else because the possibility exists that a hole will eventually get rubbed in the softer metal of the radiator by the car body. And watch out for any bolts mounting braces and such. I almost got caught by the bolt holding the brace going back to the k frame on my Barracuda. Didn't realize that the radiator support was curled up a little bit on the inside edge and I had no clearance.

-
Back