Radiator Shroud for 66 Dart V8

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok, someone out there must have a radiator shroud for a 22" radiator... I am in dire need!!!!

Early A shrouds (both V8 22 inchers and /6 19 inchers) are hard to come by and will go for $200 and up. I'd sell you one of mine except they're needed for my 65 Dart convert and 65 Barracuda. Good luck on your search!

So what's a guy supposed to do??? My engine builder says "electric fans" are not the answer nor is going to a 3 core radiator....I am at a loss....

I honestly don't think they would be hard to make. Those were all metal, made in multiple peices and then assembled. Have you seen a picture of one to see how simple they look. I wish I had kept the one I sold and have looked into making them.

Thanks... maybe someone out there might be able to fabricate one??????

I bought a 12 in sheet metal brake to try my hand at fabricating one, as I need one for a 22 inch radiator set up for a slant. I don't see a problem bending the 4 corner pieces or the flat lower piece. The biggest obstacle will be the top piece which is both curved and has a lip on it. You can see just a bit of it in one of the referenced pics. Not sure what I'll do for that.

So what's a guy supposed to do??? My engine builder says "electric fans" are not the answer nor is going to a 3 core radiator....I am at a loss....

Really? They both help cool any engine......

I have a 400 HP 340 in my 66 Valiant, I have a Flowkooler water pump, stock pullies and 4 blade fan, original 22" 273 radiator that I recored in a high-flow efficiency 2-core, and no shroud. My engine temps never get above 190, even on a 90+ degree day in traffic. I have run it down the freeway for over 2 hours with 4.10's at 70 mph and it never goes above 180.

Do you have an original radiator? What condition is it in? Lots of people have cooling issues, everyone seems to add big aftermarket aluminum rads that need mods to fit and then don't always work. Why not just recore your original with a high flow core, it could be upgraded to a 3 core too, but it will cost you around $400, maybe more.

Original shrouds for the early-a are extremely rare, and sell around $200. I have one and ran it when my engine was new, now I have it off and the engine runs at the same temp, didn't make much of a difference. I would stick the money you would spend on a shroud into a rebuild for the rad.

There is a member here (604) that selling a recored 3-core early a-body rad, he was gonna use it on a stroker motor but sold the car, he may still have it, all it needs is paint. Think he wanted around $400 for it which is a great deal, he might even have a shroud unless it went with the car he sold.

I bought a brake years ago. This is the one I made.

extensions006.jpg

I bought a brake years ago. This is the one I made.

extensions006.jpg

Nice job, looks great! Someone should start making these, would sell like hotcakes in the early-a crowd! Looks like you have a newer style rad but it looks like an early shroud.

Ok Mopar Guru's....take a look at this link and tell me any of these shrouds will work on my 66 it has a 22" radiator. Here is the link I called them and they said it was a "crapshoot""...that's comforting!
http://www.dantesparts.com/fanshroud.html

Thanks!

any comments on my post above???? help.........................

First of all, do you have a stock 273 radiator?? If so, none of the shrouds in the link you posted will work. The only shroud that will work and bolt on to your 273 early-a radiator is the correct steel early a-body shroud.

Not sure, not much room between the radiator cap and the hood so if it's taller it probably won't fit. Did you contact FABO member 604 yet? He had that real nice new rebuilt 3 core early-a rad for sale.

Those aftermarket radiators are a toss up, you will probably have to fab up mounting brackets, and also have to make sure the hoses line up too. I would hat to buy a rad on eBay only to find it won't fit.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back