Radiators -- Champion or AutoZone

-

harvenator

A fish called Wanda
Reaction score
Anyone out there use a Champion or AutoZone radiator for a '65 Barracuda V-8, manual trans? If so -- please post pics and part numners.

I tried advance ,auto zone and even car quest when I was lookin for a rad for my 66 Val. they all told me they couldn't get a rad for anything earlier than 67 ???? So I had mine re-cored at considerable expense 8)

I have a V8 rad (22") out of a 68 Dart in my 65 Dart, fit perfect. Drilled two extra mounting holes.

When I tried Autozone soon after buying my 65 Dart 273, I found I could only get a later radiator ('71+?), with lower hose on the passenger's side, and it cost $200 for copper.

I don't recommend because this mandated a change to the aluminum water pump, and still collecting a power steering pump, brackets and pulleys to make that work.

Since then I see 22" Dart aluminum radiators on ebay w/ driver's lower tube. Cost is ~$130 for 2 core or $200 for 3 core. It looks like they would bolt up. I also got a used 22" copper radiator (from B body?), w/ pass. lower hose. It doesn't quite fit because the mounting holes (as 65Vart) and seems a bit too tall, though perhaps my bottom frame is pushed up a little in the middle.

You will find that all the chain stores will carry the small tank size ( I think they started in 73/74) I put one in my 63 from a 80 Aspen. Had to knoch the driver side mounting bracket a little on the rad and make 4 small plate brackets to use the existing bolt holes in the rad support and replacement rad. It does look taller but measured out to be about 3/4 "more. Checked with clay and had plenty of hood clearance with the cap on. Cost was around $175.00

I tried a later model rediator and it was too tall for me to close the hood. Waiting for a local shop to let me know if what I have can be cut down or recored. The Champion rads look good but I've heard that aluminum has a tendency to have a 'come a part' where the tubes go into the header and is not repairable.
I might be willing to try one if I could find someone who has one that fit and has a part #.

I bought a Champion off ebay and it went right in my 69 dart. I did have to make 1 slot deeper on the passengerside bottom.

Here's the champion catalog with pics. http://championcooling.com/Catalog Online/CHAMPION.CATALOG.htm I ordered one a few months ago and it seemed like everyone was out of stock for the 22" model with the center/driver upper hose and passenger return, part number EC1635. The picture looks like the filler neck is recessed but it actually wasn't. I had to cut a notch to make it fit.

Besides all that, it has worked really well. Here's a thread with pics of the rad and install: http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=109575

If you want to try a parts store, I would recommend NAPA. They carry a larger selection for older cars than the others. However, I dont think they will have it. But it is worth a shot.

I plan to have mine recored because my tanks are in excellent condition.

Champion radiator! i just broke in my cam on a 100 degree day never got over 160

Attachments

• Signet start up 008.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 394
Champion 4-core here.....keeps the new 408 @ 180* with a 180* stat on my run-in stand with no shroud of additional fans blowing in 95* weather :glasses7:

Rickster

I purchased a 3 core 22" Aluminum rad. Its a Champion Aluminum Rad too.

I also purchased a crome overflow aswell.. The Rad came with a 16" electric fan minus the modual.

Only had to dremel the lower slot a bit more to bolt in ..

Im happy with my decision.

Attachments

• ipod II 479.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 331
Does anyone know where I can get a 22 1/2" tall radiator for my 66 Cuda? Inlet and Outlet are both on drivers side. Champion and the others list one that is 23 3/4" tall but I don't believe it will fit without cutting my lower panel which I don't want to do? Would anyone know where to buy a copper radiator if the aluminum is not available. Thanks to all for any responses.

Here you go Bear

Attachments

• Cuda Parts 002.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 292
  • Cuda Parts 003.jpg
    170.9 KB · Views: 310
  • Cuda Parts 004.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 322
Champion 22 inch 3 core You just have to set up the radiator so it about 1 inch or so above the the bottom of the support.

-
Back