radio choices

-
I know you ruled it out but the radio conversion is great, I had mine done and its worth every penny. Digital AM/FM and an Ipod hook up. Slides back into the factory hole the original presets still work and 50w/4 channels or the option to run 6 channels.

71Duster,

Where did you get your radio converted and how much did it cost?

Theres an amp under my front seat, 6X9s in the deck under a factory package tray with speaker slots and Im going to put 3.5"s in the dash.

I think Im going to do what cdawglean did seeing I all ready have a deck I can use.

That what I am doing as well Adam. These are some old pioneers I took from my 68.

DSC00008 (Custom).JPG

Home cloned, Thats how I did the speakers in my 69 cuda also. Theres a member that makes a plate for them as well.

AdamR,

If you want to mount an under dash radio box, see these by Dan Fink Metalworks & sold by Yogi's Inc.
(med size $28, large for $31);
http://www.yogisinc.com/results.cfm/-/Category=32/search_cd=radio box/results.cfm

Crutchfield Audio sells two brands that have "shaft style" radios: the "el cheapo":
-- the DUAL # XC4100 Am/FM/cassette for $50

--Two models by RetroSound www.retrosoundusa.com
---ClassicSound AM/FM $230 NO CD changer ctl, no USB
(chrome face only)

---Model ONE AM/FM/USB $299 NO CD ctl, no cassette
(black or chrome face)

Note: Both receivers have nose dims: 1 1/2" X 3 1/2"
Both have widely adjustable shaft spacing

RetroSound offers face plates for only two Mopar groups:
-- 71 thru 75 Roadrunners
-- 67 - 69 Darts
-- maybe a universal face plate may work ?

See www.retrosoundusa.com for details (Yogi's sells them)

Note: Even if one finds the "shaft style" radio, the center opening is then the next issue. Will the radio nose fit thru the OEM opening w/o cutting ?

Hope this helps.

John

Adam, my 74 Dart came with am only. It worked fine, but who listens to am only?

I found an original Chrysler am/fm radio on ebay for $150.00 yet the fm did not work. There's a local electronics store thirty miles away from me and the owner has 3 70s era Darts. For $110 he fixed the fm, put a high/low something or other in it and set it up for ipod. I have two 6 x 9s in the rear, amp under the seat, and I bought the aluminum bracket sold by Jerry ('74 Sport) on this site for two speakers in the stock location under dash up front. I really like the original look with an ipod setup.

Current auction # 110406468364 on ebay has an am/fm unit for sale right now for $175 or "make an offer" for less.

intergalactica

I had mine done in British Colombia by a place called Woods Radios, there are a few places that do it though it was just the closest to me.

I paid $380 if I remember correctly. It sounds great and looks stock short of extra speaker wires and a port for an iPod etc. on the back.

-
Back