Radio delete plate does not fit.

-

Syleng1

Karma is real and Life is short...
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So recently I bought a radio delete plate from a member for my 66’ while the radio is out for rechromimg and rebuilding on the 66’ Barracuda. With the car covered up for winter, I blasted and painted dash color the plate. Today I went to install and the tabs don’t match and the square radio hole is too big. But it perfectly fits the factory radio.

Did the radio delete cars have no opening for a radio? I assumed all dashed were punched out the same and the dash delete plate covered the opening if your car was radio delete. Ugh!

Is there a different radio delete plate I should be looking for? Pictures of my findings next post.
Syleng1

So recently I bought a radio delete plate from a member for my 66’ while the radio is out for rechromimg and rebuilding on the 66’ Barracuda. With the car covered up for winter, I blasted and painted dash color the plate. Today I went to install and the tabs don’t match and the square radio hole is too big. But it perfectly fits the factory radio.

Did the radio delete cars have no opening for a radio? I assumed all dashed were punched out the same and the dash delete plate covered the opening if your car was radio delete. Ugh!

Is there a different radio delete plate I should be looking for? Pictures of my findings next post.
Syleng1
I think 66's were a separate dash trim plate without the hole.

1B7B5F8C-72CB-4227-BF07-8A86CC949D9E.jpeg
5BFAE0E4-3D2D-469E-98A7-BBD3DD66F5C4.jpeg
C3260C49-4A46-45CA-93FD-A73C02B4B537.jpeg
B6DE8F2A-5267-423C-AA8A-46AEA403892D.jpeg

That's right, you have a Plymouth.

You say that Mike like I have kooties or something? Lol!

“Yes!” Us “Plymouth” owners have feelings.
Sniff, sniff, snot bubble. Lol!

Looks like it should fit. Do the studs/nuts need to be centered? Here's a 66 Valiant 100.

valiant 100.jpg

Looks like it should fit. Do the studs/nuts need to be centered? Here's a 66 Valiant 100.

View attachment 1715466015
May I ask, “what’s behind the cover?”

I am curious if dashes were only punched out for a radio but this plate was to give some definition to what would be a long flat dash minus the radio like the one you showed.

Hole looks too big vs. My 65 Valiant. -- Has it been cut ? - or - is a 66 different than a 65 ?
Valiant Dash - Radio.JPG

078824A2-9082-4AE2-81DB-69E3F952FEF8.jpeg
A84531DE-4B8F-4754-8E62-5C55304F76DB.jpeg
B6E547AA-62FF-4C90-80C9-871CA1B3BD9E.jpeg
Here is one of many spare radios I have for the 66’ it just does not make sense.

Here is the rechromed and properly painted radio plate. When you line up the holes where the knobs go, it covers the holes perfectly.
6047DA17-27D4-4CB5-B2C4-A47CE1434C7A.jpeg

Different year early a’s have different mounting pins on them for each year. I know there are at least 2 different plates possibly more for the 63-66 cars. You probably have a plate correct for a 64 model with the round buttons.

Sy
I have a 66 B-Cuda also. I am not putting the original radio back in...... So I made a plate out of black sheet plastic.
I made a paper tracing of the whole radio cut out, transffered it to the plastic. I made it fit into the round
"wings", and then I used 3M double sided body trim tape, and it fits in, and looks clean. My dash is black tho.
I cant take pics at present, cause the car is in its winter cacoon, and storage.
I got the sheet plastic off E-bay. It is 1/8th inch thick, and paintable.
The radio opening in my dash is just like yours.
Dave

The plate looks the same as the one I pulled from my 65 wagon and sold to another member. I am using a 66 Barracuda dash and frame in my 65, however. I can’t remember about the radio opening as the radio was long gone when I pulled the frame from the car in the junkyard.

I have the factory radio out for all the work but interm wanted something to cover the holes as I’m not sure how long it takes.
My car is covered and put away but I have access to it with little effort.

I guess the factory radio is a must and will go back in. I did not plan on the radio working as the fender antenna hole was welded up and cleaned up before paint.
I use blue tooth off my phone with a speaker but the factory looking radio should match the car. But if this plate worked....
I may have just redid the radio and shelved it Incase it was ever to go in the car it was done to properly match all the work done on the interior.

I checked EBay for a larger delete plate from like a Belvedere or Charger of the same vintage. Only the plate I have comes up for all A-bodies.

I would take the factory plate and glue some thin plastic on the back but leaving the radio shaft holes open. Find two large short carriage or flat head type bolts to put through the front through the holes for nuts and washers to snug up on the back. Epoxy the bolts in and apply a layer of plastic body filler in thick enough to fill in smooth out over the high spot. After it cures, mask the chrome edge around the outside edge and sand smooth using a piece of wood the size of a matchbox to work it with. Repaint with argent gray to match the heater control bezel. You can tell it's winter and penned up inside again, too much idle time to think about doing busy work. You might could use a Dremel and trim down the two raised bevels around the radio shafts to make the build up thinner but it's kind of awkward to do.

I would take the factory plate and glue some thin plastic on the back but leaving the radio shaft holes open. Find two large short carriage or flat head type bolts to put through the front through the holes for nuts and washers to snug up on the back. Epoxy the bolts in and apply a layer of plastic body filler in thick enough to fill in smooth out over the high spot. After it cures, mask the chrome edge around the outside edge and sand smooth using a piece of wood the size of a matchbox to work it with. Repaint with argent gray to match the heater control bezel. You can tell it's winter and penned up inside again, too much idle time to think about doing busy work. You might could use a Dremel and trim down the two raised bevels around the radio shafts to make the build up thinner but it's kind of awkward to do.

Ummmmm?
That one piece rechromed and repainted was over $200.00
Thanks- but radio will go back in. That is almost $700.00 alone. Properly restoring dashes are not cheap, but when you’ve got this far... lol! What’s another thow.
If BOAT means:
Break Out Anther Thousand

what does Barracuda mean?!?

Okay! I see says the blind man! I thought that piece looked awfully nice, where are you getting plastic re chroming done at lately?

A Seventies Flashback moment, probably the victim of a Kraco eight track tape player purchased at a Kmart. I’m getting sick just thinking about it, I wouldn’t wish that on my worst enemy... I see the wisdom of using your factory radio and bezel now.

The radio from a 64-65 has the same spread as a 66, but the unseen part behind is quite different....only a 66 or newer ( yes newer) will clear the heater switch. The opening looks correct. The cluster is major different, so I wouldn't be surprised to find out that a 64/65 doesn't look right, but if the delete panel is early A Barracuda.....should cover

Sorry guys and gals- the dash is factory opening and has yet to be cut.
Again. the rectangular opening is factory.
I had to gut 3 cars before I got an untouched car for a factory dash from a 66’ Barracuda formula S. I triple checked before I blasted and repainted the dash. The 66’ must be different.

over the (bought this car in 1989) I’ve stripped possibly 11 cars to build this one. It took 3 years to build and the last piece is the radio. Sooooo close, yet so far.
If radio is complete before June I’m looking to show her at Carlisle PA.

-
Back