Radio installation help!

-

DukeTheDuster

Duke The Duster
Reaction score
I didn’t know if this was the right place to post this but it made sense to me! Have you all installed aftermarket radios in your car? And if so what installation kit did you use? There are ones I’ve seen that cost like 100-400 dollars called Retrosound, but that couldn’t be the only way! I’m not looking for something that looks retro, it doesn’t matter to me, this car is a daily so it doesn’t have to look like a show car, I just want the radio to fit, work and not look like crap (hanging half way out) Thanks!

You didn't say what vehicle. Most of these older Chryslers have a odd ball dash and bezel. Two little rectangle windows for radio dial and buttons. Most common low dollar solution was butcher the dash and bezel for a D.I.N. standard unit.
I have a D.I.N. head unit in my rally dash but not in the common low dollar manner.

DeMonDIN plus burl 02 resize.jpg

Last edited:
Yep,... It all comes down to if you want to preserve the original dash opening. If so, Retrosound and Custom Auto Sound are the only people I am aware of that have something to offer. Otherwise, it comes down to what Redfish said. Chop the dash and put a "Single DIM" aftermarket radio.

I take that back,.... I've heard of others mounting a small hidden amplifier somewhere in the car and wiring a headphone jack to the input, then use their phone to play music. Leave the stock radio in the car for looks.

Cut the dash for a double Din Radio. Maybe a 7 or 8 inch display too.
:thumbsup:

Previous owner cut my dash so no good help here.
I have use an amp/eq with an adapter, wired it to come on with key(blue wire) and used my phone. Its easy enough to hide.

The twin shaft style radios haven't been made by the usual car stereo companies since the late 80's. Everything these days is a 7" x 2" rectangular unit, called DIN size. There are also double DIN sizes, but those are for newer cars. You can install a DIN sized radio in your dash if you are willing to cut the rectangular opening. If you don't want to cut the dash, then you should consider a system that plays music via bluetooth and can be hidden away somewhere. The hidden systems start at around 300 bucks.

You might also send your radio to one of the companies that convert it to modern 4 speaker sound, add Bluetooth, etc. Tayman Electrical converted my OEM 47 Dodge radio to a 4 speaker unit leaving the original appearance intact

D635663D-6340-42E9-B2E3-85F5DF053D8B.jpeg

You might also send your radio to one of the companies that convert it to modern 4 speaker sound, add Bluetooth, etc. Tayman Electrical converted my OEM 47 Dodge radio to a 4 speaker unit leaving the original appearance intact

thats nice! i didnt know they existed. whats the cost of a deal like that?

I used a unit from Custom Autosound in my 73 Sport. Had to cut some, but pretty straight forward if you've done one before.
20170518_154944.jpg

I'd have to doub
thats nice! i didnt know they existed. whats the cost of a deal like that?

I’d have to check my invoice but IIRC it was about $400. Obviously I couldn’t go with a new single or double DIN radio and the original radio was 6 volt AM so the conversion made sense to me. The radio will play both AM and FM with the flip of a switch and also has an six plug for a satellite receiver or amp or whatever.

I’d have to check my invoice but IIRC it was about $400. Obviously I couldn’t go with a new single or double DIN radio and the original radio was 6 volt AM so the conversion made sense to me. The radio will play both AM and FM with the flip of a switch and also has an six plug for a satellite receiver or amp or whatever.

hey thats do-able thanks for turning me on to them

I have Pioneer Supertuner radios in my vehicles. I can always find them at the bigger shows like the Nats, but I find them just about anywhere. And, they require no cutting of the dash! Of course, they’re only cassette, but since I have about 300 cassettes, thats not a problem for me!

A31C3A0D-91E9-4438-8E9D-D6434276B3AE.jpeg

If I was trying to do it on the cheap, I would cut the dash and buy a modern radio. Even the entry level radios have Bluetooth and handsfree calling from your phone. Here's one with all the bells and whistles for $89.

Kenwood KDC-BT275U

g113BT275U-F.jpg

If your car is highly collectable, I'd build a little wooden box and hang in under the dash where you can easily reach it. My dash was already cut when I got it, so I didn't have to worry about that.

You didn't say what vehicle. Most of these older Chryslers have a odd ball dash and bezel. Two little rectangle windows for radio dial and buttons. Most common low dollar solution was butcher the dash and bezel for a D.I.N. standard unit.
I have a D.I.N. head unit in my rally dash but not in the common low dollar manner.

View attachment 1715286217
Sorry I should have said, I have a 1974 Plymouth Duster! And I’m not worried about having am/fm just aux and Bluetooth mainly!

I did the same as BrianT. Bought a $69 Bluetooth radio and kickpanel speakers. Also put some in the rear. Sounds great and the whole thing cost less than a retro sound radio. If you dash is already cut, sure is cheaper.

32D26749-1254-4B37-8C9B-9C60B2A12599.jpeg

This is what I use when I really want some tunes. Bose unit set in the back seat and the phone. No wiring or holes required! I Usually just enjoy the engine and ride and do not bother with the factory AM and dash speaker! It rocks the ride just fine when I feel the need!

B1FDA1FD-D85F-42BB-B6C0-C050E3504AB3.jpeg

Last edited:
Some of the aftermarket head units are far too complicated for inflight use. I have love/hate relationship with my Kenwood. Don't crash your classis while feckin' with the new jukebox.

I took a picture of the radio currently in it, it definitely isn’t stock so would and aftermarket radio fit in this? It looks like a regular size!

9E95692D-F60E-4F90-A5AE-673E85FDB65D.jpeg

You could put in a modern stereo for sure, but you might have to cut the dash some if it already hasn’t been. Take off the faceplate so you can get a better look.

The new digital media radios that don’t have cds are small and easy to mount.

Luckily, I did mine way back in 1995 using the Blaupunkt "Seattle" model - long out of production now, but I didnt have to do any cutting as far as I remember!

CIMG8651.JPG

I like the original appearance of the factory radio. So what im doing is making a box and installing one of those 20 dollar bluetooth stereos in the box and mounting it under the front passenger seat. That way its hidden but I still have the convenience of modern sound. If you're interested I will send a link of the stereo I bought

-
Back