radio interchange question

-
The '70 B-body AM and AM-FM radios fits the opening of a '70 Dart with a standard dash (knob type), but, the rear support post is in a different location, and the face plate comes to a peak in the middle instead of being flat. The tape player models don't fit without cutting.

Also I've never seen a Dart script on a 70. Dodge script yes which I have some.

I use the term script to refer to any chromed pot metal name on the car. 70 Darts had "Dart" on the upper quarter panels along with a Swinger or Custom or as part of a single Dart GT badge. Many of the catalogs show a different Dart nameplate that I think goes on a Dart between 67 to 69 (don't know specifics), but that nameplate never appeared in 1970.

Okay I meant script as in the fount.

20180125_084130.jpg

20180613_133349.jpg

Just trivia... The 1968 model got the lower dash pads. It wasn't going to be easy to get a hand there and turn knobs with pad in the way. This is what brought about the dumb wheel radio design. Although the lower pad disappeared after one year model the dumb wheel radio didn't disappear at the same time.
They also rotated wiper switch orientation 90 degrees in 1968. I think that too was due to the lower pad conflict.

Maybe, but, why go to thumbwheel radios on a B-body? No lower pad in the way on those cars.....

Just a different design altogether. They won't fit A or B body dash face plates.

Oh sure, C- bodies had them too. Some you could put into other models by swapping face plate parts. E-bodies were all by themselves though.

-
Back