Radio not working, it used to

-

falconsdart

Reaction score
My radio in my 74 dart worked when I first got while I was working on it before it was drive able. But after about a month of it working it suddenly just stopped working. I pulled the speaker wires out and hooked them up to a new speaker to see if the old speaker was blown or something along those lines. It still did not work, replaced all fuses as well and still nothing. Any idea of what else I need to approach to make it finally work? Any help is much appreciated

Dang, you've covered all the bases. I think it just quit working. You might have to find another one that works for sure.

Oh dark I was sort of hoping to get away without doing that. Well luckily I have another 74 parts car to snag it off of. Do I need to remove my windshield to get into the dash to remove the radio? I did in the four door dart but this one is the sport so I'm assuming I have to

The radio should come out the front. Hopefully someone with that year/model will chime in.

Oh scratch that forget I gave that radio to someone else already. I'm on the search for one now

Listen carefully to the speaker. You should hear a "thump" when turning it on. I would not "assume" it has power either access the connector at the radio and check voltage, or unplug and jumper power to it.

If that goes down OK, and you hear a "thump" in the speaker, suspect the antenna. A shorted antenna can make a radio VERY quiet

Its a little dark to check this right now but I will get to it after work tomorrow and post an update on how it went. Thanks for the help so far guys!

Like 67DART273 suggested, jumper it to 12 volts from the battery and see if you have power.

When I was about 12 years old, I put a 12 volt car battery in my fort and hooked up a car stereo. It was awesome! When it died, I just took it out and put it on a charger! I was the cool neighbor kid with a stereo in his fort, lol.

When I turn the dimmer switch on my radio has light, i don't know if that means the radio has power or not. I was going to try to hook up an aftermarket radio to see if my old radio is just friend but I can't find a wiring diagram for the radio to save my life. I know red is for power, black is ground and the green wire is to the speaker but what does the orange wire do?

There are only two sets of wires coming out of the radio

Red and orange, to one connector. Orange is dial lamp, red is main power

Other two, black and green I think, are speaker,

And of course the antenna connector. You will need "something" for an antenna, even a length of wire. If you have a 12V test lamp or multimeter, (and you should) you can stick a probe in the socket. The center pin is the antenna

At one time these were called "Motorola" connectors, which by the way, is what Motorola originally started manufacturing (Galvin)

ant_motorola.jpg

So, battery power to radio case and the red wire

a speaker / headphone to the remaining two

and something for an antenna

-
Back