radio reccomendation

-

loops

Reaction score
for 73 swinger, can anybody tell me should I stay with shaft style radio or can a radio be mounted in the big gap behind the center panel? Any tips on radio selection would be greatly appreciated!

My last 3 radios including the one in my dart have been Sony Explode's

Check out the Alpine line. They have one with am/fm CD and a USB slot and aux input on the front. Awesome unit for under 100.00 bucks at Crutchfield.com

I will be ordering one soon along with an amp.

John B.

Here's my 2 cents , with a question :

Is the factory radio cutout still intact and NOT butchered ?

- If it's uncut , then leave it alone , and place the receiver ( radio itself ) under the dash or in the glove compartment ;

- if it IS butchered -- including the metal behind the plastic bezel -- then go ahead and place it in that area .

One of my major pet peeves is seeing an otherwise clean , stock dash that's been butchered for a modern radio ; it just looks like sh1t to me .

When I get around to putting a radio ( stereo ) in my daily driver '72 Coronet , it's going to mounted either under the seat or , maybe , in the glove compartment .

As far as to which manufacture's unit to go with , I have no recommendations .

My dash is unmolested and I will keep it that way. My glove box is too shallow for a head unit so under the seat with a remote might be what you need!

John B.

I agree with John, do not cut an original dash. I have my original dash tucked away. I have a second dash that was already cut, that I modified for a stereo and I am using since I drive the car. Years down the road, I could alway refit the original radio and dash back into the car. But for now, the second dash works fine. OH, I did discover that the Sony Marine radio M60Ui has many of the same features as their standard Xplode radio, but is silver- allowing it to "blend" in better with my ralley dash. Not quite as annoying to look at.

If you have an uncut dash and the funds, why not have your original AM radio converted to the modern internals. That way you can keep the stock appearance and still have the luxury of modern sound.

Another option- they make plastic "boxes" that hang under your dash and have the opening for a modern radio. If you don't have A/C or gauges in the way, this will tuck up nicely under your dash and still allow you to get to your controls and view the display of whatever headunit you would like.

I will do the am/fm conversion someday, but it's not cheap! Rob has a good point! Under the dash with a DIN box you can make or get one from Crutchfield. If it were me I would opt for the glovebox and remote.

John B

In regards to a cut up dash...

Mine was already hacked up before I owned the car. I really want to restore it back to original; AM radio and all. Is there a way to repair the dash I have, or will I need to find a replacement that has not been cut up?
If I need to replace my dash, can I removed my VIN plate and put in on the new dash?

Sorry for the interruption to the thread topic. I have personally had good luck with Pioneer decks in my vehicles. Both in functionality and looks!

-
Back