Radio suggestions ?

-
How do you build the bluetooth amplifier box? What all do you need to assemble one.
They make a Bluetooth audio board. I couple it with a low-level audio converter to allow the factory radio to play through the Bluetooth amplifier. This box also will allow you to mount it underneath the package tray (if you're not connecting the factory radio to it) you just supply 12 volts to it, connect the speakers and you can pretty much have a Bluetooth amplifier with very little wiring required. You will also need some RCA plugs, standoffs and a box to mount it in.

I think have an early one sitting around. It's yours for $100.00 (just about cost) if you're interested. It's not as finished looking as the others but it works fine. It's actually the one from my video.

I used to work repairing OEM radios for Chrysler, Ford and GM in the 80s. That capacitor is probably dried out (it has a borax paste in it that dries out after a couple of decades). It's always a good idea to replace them all as a precaution.

Thanks for the many shared responses on this topic. I think I’m leaning towards the repair of the AM radio keeping the nostalgic look and feel thru that one mighty dashboard speaker. Some day when my son takes over ownership he might feel differently about this choice but for now its old school.

Happy New Year everyone.

Recently I've had 3 or 4 old car radios come across my bench for repair and I didn't fix them due to worn out tuning clutches. The replacement is now impossible to find, but there are guys out there claiming they can restore them.
I'm going to let one of the mechanical engineers I work with take a look at a radio clutch this week and see if he can come up with a fix.

You can 3D print about anything now if you have someone to draw it up for you.

Recently I've had 3 or 4 old car radios come across my bench for repair and I didn't fix them due to worn out tuning clutches. The replacement is now impossible to find, but there are guys out there claiming they can restore them.
I'm going to let one of the mechanical engineers I work with take a look at a radio clutch this week and see if he can come up with a fix.

I solved that problem by inserting a piece of sandpaper (delicately) between the round clutch disks and gluing it on. It's working fine so far.

I solved that problem by inserting a piece of sandpaper (delicately) between the round clutch disks and gluing it on. It's working fine so far.
I'd like to hear more. What kind of glue?

Don't rightly remember now, probably super glue. But it's been working fine. I actually cut out two round pieces of sandpaper the size of the clutch disks, glued them together with the sand paper sides out, cut out a thin "pie slice" slit to clear the shaft and inserted the result and glued it to one clutch disk. The sand paper acts like the clutch plate.

-
Back