Rally Dash in a 67 Valiant

-
Difficult to see for sure but looks like the 67 rally bezel has also been cut for a different radio. It might be repaired with a extra glove box door bezel and plastic welder. You have enough space behind to add scabs from donor plastic to make your weld joins stronger than OEM was. The time-consuming part is getting the face side slick enough for re-chroming. That is doable though. Dollar Tree and others have fingernail finishing blocks with small pieces of every grit paper you will need glued on to make your repair as slick as OEM. I've been there done that, not to repair but to create a D.I.N. friendly rally panel. The climate controller is relocated to where the OEM radio was. D.I.N. head unit moved up to where the climate controller once was. There is ample space up there.
Today there are D.I.N. head units that are only about 2 inches deep. With that you don't even need to worry about conflict with the right wiper pivot (right behind the head units new home). I didn't have that option/luxury back when I did it. Every head unit available then was deeper for a CD player. The newer head unit is AM/FM tuner, USB slot for thumb drive, etc.., and Bluetooth.
The downside is butchering the sheet metal dash behind the bezel to add a custom support panel for the OEM climate controller and D.I.N. head unit.
My point is there are lots of options.
If you take nothing else from this post, beware of a folding seat back hitting and cracking a corner off the rally bezel. Far right where there is a screw near the glove box door. I can't say if it was the bench seat of a 2 door or a right bucket seat that broke them, but it happened and still happens today. Regardless of what the pretty reproduction bezels cost, they really aren't any better than OEM. Good luck with it.

-
Back