Rally dash swap?

-

Nkaiser81

71TwistedK
Reaction score
I have a 71 Duster and I'm thinking about swapping the original dad cluster for a rally. My question is. Do the dash clusters simply swap out or do you need to swap the entire metal part as well?

Altering the sheet metal dash to accept a rallye panel is doable but it can/has been done.
Changing out the dash isn't easy either. 5 bolts are hidden under the windshield gasket.

It's a ground up resto. So the dash is already out. That's why I was thinking about doing it. So the is a difference in the dash? What kind of modifications need to be done.

It's an entirely different dash frame, dash, and wiring harness.

Changing out the whole dash wold be the ez way to go. But you can also mod the dash you have to make it fit. Seen a thread on here a long time ago where someone did it. Sorry I don't remember who it was or where to find it though.

the frame itself is the same , its the cut out area thats different to accomodate the standard bezel vs rallye , if you can cut & drill you can modify your frame . As far as the glove box goes its as simple as drilling holes . Just have the bezel on hand that you will be using so you can test fit as you go . The harness differences im not sure , but being that its a total resto you'll be going thru the wiring anyhow .

im sure its probably the connections for the gauges but i have never physically compared the 2

The dash has small metal tabs around the opeming where the instrument panel screws go. Those tangs are in different locations so something has to be done there. Welding is one option. There are 2 wires to move from your round harness connector to the samller circuit board on the rally panel plus a 3rd piece of orange wire you'll need to add so it goes to both circuit boards. Fairly simple really.

-
Back