rally vs stock dash

-

terzmo

Reaction score
I have a 72 demon with the rectangular dash, square speedo...round gauges,in woodgrain, and assumed the 71 demon's dash was different as the ones I saw had all round gauges witha 150 speedo. Is that a "rally" dash...what years available...and I also seen it in a duster...If not available for 72....can a 71 be swapped in ? Thanks in advance to all and Happy Holidays.

pic of My dash

Attachments

• IM001593.JPG
    118.4 KB · Views: 398
Rally dashes were available in the 340 70 & 71 dusters, and demons. It was gone for 72' but you can swap one in, but they can be expensive. This is one of the reasons 70 71 cars are more desireable along with the higher compression engines found in these years.

you will need to replace the entire dash set up .
metal frame, gauges,harness.
you will be able to find one for around $700.00 complete.

70 to 71 radio is different.
70 to 71 harness is different.
be careful.

Last one I sold on ebay went for $1,475.00 in nice condition comlpete with harness and nice pad, No tach 1970. 71's bring more , They are more desirable for changing one over because of the radio. AM / FM's fit from later models. I have a comlpete 70 forsale forsale with harness no radio. needs to be cleaned up but all there and you will get it completly togerther as seen with all hardware and harness attached. make offer

Attachments

• DSCF2971.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 472
I installed one from a '67 Barracuda in my '74 Duster. Reused the stock dash frame and wiring harness with some modifications, swapped on a 70-72 Glovebox Door to match the rest of the Dash.

Wasn't hard to change the round connector around to match the Rallye Cluster, just matched up the pins on the wiring diagrams, pushed the bullet style connectors out of the plug and rearranged them where they needed to go.

S5000468-1.jpg

Bought mine on fleabay years ago for $100, it was damaged around the radio area. Had the 120mph Speedometer & Vacuum Gauge (aka "Performance Indicator")

First 340plot is selling a complete dash from a 4 speed right now. Second deals are out there, I got a complete rally dash with frame, pad, cluster, wiring, etc for $200 from a member here. It was the first item I bought from here. The only thing not on the dash is the tach, which is fine because I'm getting an aftermarket one with a 8k redline.

yes...understood...there is always a bargain if one waits/looks long enough....I told Him I'd sell the car before investing 1450...I'm sure He'd take less than that BUt most likely more than I need to spend...Thanks

shoot, i have one for sale right now for i think 550.00 shipped in the lower 48. let me know

as far as installation,I'm formally a B body guy and the speedometer section (or carrier) can be removed and replaced without touching anything else on dash...speaking of 66 thru 69 B bodies. (section being the speedo withall the gauges...about 1/3 the entire dash) So is this the same for A body

if you are putting this in a duster or demon, it will go right in. as 68 and newer had the push on style speedo. so, yes, same as b-body

so I can remove the entire section that has speedo and gauges and replace that with another withoout getting into the radio bezel or glovebox: if so, why are they talking "frame" ? Is the the term for the carrier or bezel that holds the speedo and gauges? Thanks for the info

Would a 67 thru 69 barracuda dash work ??

Because the frame is different between the standard dash and a rally dash.

so I can remove the entire section that has speedo and gauges and replace that with another withoout getting into the radio bezel or glovebox: if so, why are they talking "frame" ? Is the the term for the carrier or bezel that holds the speedo and gauges? Thanks for the info

Would a 67 thru 69 barracuda dash work ??

The whole frame assembly will work (67-69) in a 70+ but ignition is located on the dash not in the column.

definition of frame...understood the rally module has round speedo/tach and standard module has square speedo/round gauges

The frame is what mounts to the car and the cluster mounts to the frame (the cluster houses the gauges).

right, if putting a rallye guage setup in, you need the entire frame also. some have modified the stock one, but i tried with no sucess!. easier to just swap entire setup right in.

have to take the windshield out to get to the 5 screws that hold the frame in.

If anyone has any things to look out for while doing this conversion, I would appreciate any tips or advise. I am getting started with a 67 barracuda dash into a 76 duster. New to FABO and already lovin' it!

Might want to get a 68+ speedo, it will make life easier (plus it will be a 150 mph vs 120 mph).

Get print outs of wiring diagrams for both years. Study twice , splice once!!!! Sometimes as simple as leaving wires and changing position in bulkhead connecter. Save all plastic connecters.

I refer to the sheet metal dash as "dash house".The standard and rallye dash houses are different. To cut away more of the standard dash opening so the rallye panel will fit in there has been done but, There are extra holes in the sheet metal to fit at the heater rasio bezels and the holes where the instrument panels mount are in different loactions.
So if you purchased a rallye dash house from a pre 70 you would have a ignition switch bezel in the dash to fill. The best thing I have found for that hole is a control wand to a right door remote mirror.
Avoid the 68 rallye dash. It had lower dash pads requiring mounting holes, totally different ash tray assembly, column cover and more.
Bottom line your choises are , 67, 69, 70, 71, rallye dash houses.
I shouldn't toot my own horn here but I must tell you my DeMonDIN irallye panel is the optimim choice in my opinion. Dont buy it today though. Give me until about June to successfully complete my current project. I promise it will be worth the wait.

Last one I sold on ebay went for $1,475.00 in nice condition comlpete with harness and nice pad, No tach 1970. 71's bring more , They are more desirable for changing one over because of the radio. AM / FM's fit from later models. I have a comlpete 70 forsale forsale with harness no radio. needs to be cleaned up but all there and you will get it completly togerther as seen with all hardware and harness attached. make offer

SOLD, a complete 71 in this same condition this week for $350.00 I dragged dwn from upstairs for domeone who didn't show or call.

I have nice 71 bezels and one bare frame left up there, but this is the last frame. and harness I will part with. It also has a 4spd column and clutch pedals. It can be sold complete cut at a-pillars and floor including hump. Shipping would be Yellow freight you pay on your end .

340 front disc suspension separate. Make a reasonable offer it will come with data plate and title and broad cast sheet. Just incase you want to restore the cowl.

Car is sitting here complete just apart. No floor or frame rot .Offers entertained but not always accepted because of low ballers. I will chop it before I give it away. It don't eat so its costing me nothing sitting here. I can always use the extra 4pd driveline that came with it, extra cash for X-mass would be nice. Steve

I have a 68 Barracuda dash in my 73 duster

Attachments

• dustertop 025.2.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 263
  • dustertop 026.1.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 272
-
Back