Rallye dash question

-
Geez, your not thinking of another dash upgrade are you Francois? :poke:

Ha ha. No, Troy. No new dash upgrade... :p
But I've seen a rallye dash for sale around here, and I was surprised to see that it didn’t have a tachometer. I believed that the tachometer was standard on the rallye dash

In 71, the Rally dash was standard equipment with a Tach and 150 MPH speedometer in the 340 Duster. It ended completely in 72, no option at all, and that was 1 of the reasons I bought a 71 340 Duster. Also the 10 to 1 compression was a thing of the past. Chrysler could have offered the rally dash as an option from 72 on, but didn't. There would probably be a lot more of them around for us now if they did.

Ha ha. No, Troy. No new dash upgrade... :p
But I've seen a rallye dash for sale around here, and I was surprised to see that it didn’t have a tachometer. I believed that the tachometer was standard on the rallye dash
Nope, I've seen plenty without. Most I've seen just have a filler. They also came with a Performance Indicator (vacuum gauge), and, although I've never seen one......A clock.

Nope, I've seen plenty without. Most I've seen just have a filler. They also came with a Performance Indicator (vacuum gauge), and, although I've never seen one......A clock.

IMG_20221019_101355362.jpg

center hole where the tach/performance gauge goes, and I know that this mostly went in darts. but Im putting in this consol tach

doing the same thing on the dash restore..

IMG_20230715_194219854.jpg

IMG_20230715_194224145.jpg

IMG_20230715_193255992.jpg

IMG_20220903_103330355.jpg

IMG_20220903_103336227_BURST000_COVER.jpg

IMG_20220903_103345427.jpg

Last edited:
Hi all

Does the 70/71 A-body rallye dash exist without tachometer and 150 mph speedometer?
Thanks
Seems like a rallye dash would come with a 150mph speedo and something else like clock, performance indicator or tach - I mean if it just comes with a 120 speedo and blankout plate why call it a rallye dash?

Last edited:
Seems like a rallye dash would come with a 150mph speedo and something else like clock, performance indicator or tach - I mean if it just comes with a 120 speedo and blankout plate why call it a rallye dash?
Because the 'rallye instrument panel' had been standard on many models with the 150 mph speedometer as an option.
Originally the performance gage was standard and the tach an option that could go in the panel or on the console.
Later the Performance Gage became optional too. Kindof like the folding back seat in the fastback became an option. Why? $$$

Anyway. The answer for 1970 and 71 is in the books.

The tach has it's own option code, N85 IIRC.
The vacuum gauge also has it's own code.
I have never seen a tach-delete code.
Since 1970, I've almost always had 4-speed rally-dash car and every one had a code N85 tach.
However, the tach is in the wrong spot, is too small, and is usually if not always, too slow. So I usually replace it with the vacuum gauge, which, as the cam gets bigger, needs to be damped........ cuz otherwise, it's too fast ...... lol.

The tach has it's own option code, N85 IIRC.
The vacuum gauge also has it's own code.
I have never seen a tach-delete code.
Since 1970, I've almost always had 4-speed rally-dash car and every one had a code N85 tach.
However, the tach is in the wrong spot, is too small, and is usually if not always, too slow. So I usually replace it with the vacuum gauge, which, as the cam gets bigger, needs to be damped........ cuz otherwise, it's too fast ...... lol.
I’ve got a 69 with factory vacuum gauge and always wondered how accurate it is especially after a mild
street rebuild

-
Back