"Ram Air" 340 dual scoops?

-

robsimmons

Slant 6 Drag Racer
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I already have the aftermarket dual scoops on my '72 Dart and everything is painted, but I really want to make the scoops functional. I can cut the inlet holes easily enough, but has anyone made the scoops into a "Ram Air" type set up that actually feeds fresh air to the carb? My searches have come up with lots of posts about scoop placement, but I haven't seen any mention of going the next step. There are a couple aftermarket companies advertising dual inlet fresh air set ups... Anyone? Thanks.

Rob

I would just get a breather that is open on the side. the scoop should be close enough to get the air right to the filter.

I believe the main function of the twin scoops is to vent heat from the engine compartment. They may even mess with air flow to the carb, creating turbulence that takes air away from breather. If you notice the holes in the hood are towards the front of the scoop not the rear.
This air cleaner will do wonders for your air flow.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_55430_-1

Mopar never made the underhood part, but it shouldn't be too hard to fab something up. An octaginal piece of aluminum sheet metal, approximately the size needed to cover the carb and pick up both scoops, should be available at any intersection.

Thats right C130 Chief. All I have seen were fabricated from aluminum just as you said with a thick foam seal to seal the pan to the hood. They seem to provide some very good results over not having one.

ok guys here what i done its cheap,easy, and at the dragstrip showed a full tenth gain. first if you have an old 340,360,383, etc pie pan breather top that the bottom isn't real good your in reach you have the first piece. now around where the wingnut goes on there is a perfect circle raised up around it about 4-5 inches perfectly. cut out that circle and amazingingly it will perfectly fit where a beather bottom fits on the carb. like a glove. then summit or jegs one has a foam kit for the purpose of glueing around the outside of the breather top, its made for things like this, its about 1-2 inches wide and long enoungh to go around and have some left. some weatherstriping or all purpose glue works good. you may have to make the foam thinner depending on motor setup. then cut the hole in the hood under the hood scoop, make sure all lines up, shut the hood and bingo ram air all outside air which is coool goes threw the carb. o yeah you got to fix a small bracket off the carb stud to hold it down good. anyhow it works good for me just my idea i came up with, and its real cheap horsepower about 15-20 bucks. goodluck:toothy7:

According to robsimmons he is a "Slant Six drag racer"
I am a Slant Six guy too.
I have been toying (Just not attempting-yet) a Ram Air setup for he Drivers side Scoop on my Dart.
And leave the Passenger side alone to vent the Engine Bay.

I have already made a set of Screens to fit in the Scoops to prevent further bird ingestion (Quite the mess when they make it through the hole).
2006-10-20 72 Dart Swinger-01 (1) (Medium).JPG

One day I will get on this and start a thread for my insanity! LOL

Later,
Bruce B.

2006-10-20 72 Dart Swinger-01 (1) (Medium).JPG

Hey Bruce,

You're over on slantsix.org now too, right? We'll meet up some day soon I hope. I'll be out of Afghanistan around August and back in the states shortly after that. I've been overseas for 6 years!

EL5DEMON340,

Thanks for the pic. When I get back I'll have 6 years of wrenching to catch up on. This Ram Air project is on the list of things to do.

I seen a Dart one time that had an airgraber from a B body modified to fit. He did a good job on it and it looked stock though an A body never had one. I thought that was a cool idea. To bad the airgraber set up cost so much.

-
Back