Ram Heater Core ?

-

GTXperience

Orig Stealth Mod
Reaction score
I believe the heater core is going out on my '98 Ram. What looked like smoke (but smelt like coolant) was tricking out of my dash vents and there was a light film across my windshield (coming out of the defrost vents).

Unless someone tells me different, I am thinking it is definitely the heater core or an associated part. Has anyone experienced this in their Ram and if it is the core, can someone tell me how involved it is to replace. I am sure it is not as simple as our older Mopar cars.

Thanks in advance.

you will need to remove the whole dash assembly. and while your at it replace the evaporator as well. your description deff sounds like the heater core

Well, it sounds like I ned to pull the GTX out of the mothballs and get the service manual out while I take this apart. Anyone else have any pearls of wisdom/shortcuts here?

Well, it sounds like I ned to pull the GTX out of the mothballs and get the service manual out while I take this apart. Anyone else have any pearls of wisdom/shortcuts here?

park it till summer and then bypass the heater core and sell it off and buy another truck :-D:-D j/k that wouldn't be right but i must say ive bought a couple cars with that done in the middle of summer and didnt realize it till it started to get cold sure makes you feel like a dumbass :violent1::violent1::violent1:

park it till summer and then bypass the heater core and sell it off and buy another truck :-D:-D j/k that wouldn't be right but i must say ive bought a couple cars with that done in the middle of summer and didnt realize it till it started to get cold sure makes you feel like a dumbass :violent1::violent1::violent1:

On at least three separate occasions, I drove by the Dodge dealer and was tempted to purchase something new but for some reason I didn't. I am very attached to my truck. Joyce even says its a little weird. ;-)

Actually, I really like the styling of the last generation and may consider moving up to a 2001 3500 2WD CTD.

well if you trade it in to a dealer i must say i wouldnt feel bad about that if your gonna buy one from them im sure they will get over on you one way or another be it financing or forgetting to tell you something. Hope you get whichever truck you really want wether it be a new one or fixing your old one. Justin

well if you trade it in to a dealer i must say i wouldnt feel bad about that if your gonna buy one from them im sure they will get over on you one way or another be it financing or forgetting to tell you something. Hope you get whichever truck you really want wether it be a new one or fixing your old one. Justin

Not to sound conceited or anything but after years of working for JD Powers & IntelliChoice (now owned by Primedia), I will never get taken advantage of by a dealer. Granted, they may not sell to me but taking advantage will not happen. There were times when we were absolutely hated by the dealers and dealer groups when we were the first to release dealer invoice & hold back #s. Those were the days. 8)

BTW: I think I am hi-jacking my own thread. ;-)

Whole dash has to come out, had mine done at the dealer because the evaporator was leaking in the '99 I had ( I like the body lines of those far better than the newer ones also... but think HEMI :) ) lucky for me it was under warranty. I don't think it would be real hard to do, the whole thing came out in one chunk and sat on the front seat. I just don't care for playing around air bags... to be on the safe side know how to compleatly deactivate you're air bag system before yo work around them.

Whole dash has to come out, had mine done at the dealer because the evaporator was leaking in the '99 I had ( I like the body lines of those far better than the newer ones also... but think HEMI :) ) lucky for me it was under warranty. I don't think it would be real hard to do, the whole thing came out in one chunk and sat on the front seat. I just don't care for playing around air bags... to be on the safe side know how to compleatly deactivate you're air bag system before yo work around them.

Excellent point re: the bags Adam. I am going to peruse the service manual as my nightly reading before I hit the sack.

Well, read the service manual and with working on it a couple of hours a night, it looks like it will be down for a week which means I will have to drive the GTX all week ... damn it! Did I mention it was a vert and the weather has been in the mid-60s here? ;-)

Any other short cuts would be appreciated before I begin on Monday.

-
Back