Ramcharger problems

-

HawaiiDuster

Reaction score
Well I decided to get plates put on the Ramcharger and drive it since the weather was getting nice. But its being a PITA! I starts surging and cutting out like its not getting fuel after I drive it for a little while. If I try to run on the freeway it acts like its running out of gas. Its an 89 FI 360 with a 727 4x4. This is the first year for FI 360 and the first one I've had to play with. I put a new fuel pump, filter, O2 sensor, oil pressure sender (last one was leaking), and all the usual tune up items. So now I'm kind of stumped:munky2: The only things I haven't changed are the fuel pressure regulator, fuel injectors, MAP sensor (checked out good), and tps (also checked ok).

Anyone of any ideas? Its not the greatest looking thing, but it is fun to beat around in. I kinda wanted to go out in the desert to go shooting, but want to make sure I can make it there and back. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. If I can't make it work, I'll be looking for a Edelbrock performer intake to stick on it and get rid of the FI.

ramcharger.jpg

Sounds like a bad EGR valve to me. My 89 318 TBI Ramcharger did the same thing last fall. I just pulled off the vacuum line to the EGR, plugged the vac line and the truck started to run perfectly. It's a good place to start since they are prone to plugging.

I first thought tps, but you said that it checked it out fine. You say that it sat for quite a while, does it have fresh fuel?

I had checked the egr with a vacuum pump and it was working properly. It was sitting because I had the tank out to change the fuel pump so all the fuel in it is new. Sorry I forgot to say that in the first post. I like FI but this early stuff kind of sucks. Any other ideas or maybe a line on a nice Edelbrock performer intake?

Mine's carburated (It's a '74) so my troubleshooting ability is limited on the early EFI stuff, but my next thought is an intake manifold gasket leak. It wouldn't show up so much when cold as the EFI is pumping a good amount of fuel in.

I take it you're not getting a trouble code?

Here's something easy but had me baffled for a couple of weeks when my truck was running like a bag of crap: check the vacuum connections on the vacuum tree on the back of the intake manifold behind the throttle body. I had a loose one (3/8ths line) and the lean condition made the RC buck and cough something awful! Also, check your distributor cap... teh way the cowl is designed, water drains off the hood and cowl right onto the top of the cap. Mine had two posts with small ponds in them last time I changed it. ;)

Well I drove it around for a while today. Again once it gets to operating temp it stumble when cruising at part throttle. If you open it up, it will take off just fine. Didn't find any vacuum leaks and don't really have to worry about the rain here in Vegas. I'm gonna check the tps again tomorrow. Anyone got an edelbrock performer intake:-D

try replacing heli in distributor, sounds crazy but worked on my 89 Ram-charger and in-laws Dakota

What is the history? Did it EVER run right?

Do I understand that this sat for awhile? I have a Ferd Ranger, ended up pulling the injectors, we have a local guy here who cleans them.

This thread is 4 years old. I'm sure he's figured it out by now.......:happy1:

-
Back