Ramp Meters (AKA Stop lights on the interstate)

What do you think about Ramp Meters?

• 1. They are a safety hazard, waste of money and nuisance.

• 2. They do what the DOT says and make things better. I'm all for them.

• 3. I really like them because I feel like at the drag strip. Nothing else matters.

Results are only viewable after voting.
-

adriver

Blazing Apostle
Reaction score
Well, Ramp meters have been installed through town and right now they are only being turned on in the rain.
So, in addition to all the red tail lights we have these distracting, flashing red traffic lights in view while running the Gran Prix in the rain.
I've seen them used twice now.
Last night in the rain I saw a wreck on an "on ramp".
Never seen that before, that I can recall.
I always thought an on ramp was so that you could easily accelerate to merge with the crazy people who are doing 90 MPH.
Not from a dead stop at the foot of the ramp.
(That's where they are)

Last edited:
Well, Ramp meters have been installed through town and right now they are only being turned on in the rain.
So, in addition to all the red tail lights we have these distracting, flashing red traffic lights in view while running the Gran Prix in the rain.
I've seen them used twice now.
Last night in the rain I saw a wreck on an "on ramp".
Never seen that before, that I can recall.
I always thought an on ramp was so that you could easily accelerate to merge with the crazy people who are doing 90 MPH.
Not from a dead stop at the foot of the ramp.
(That's where they are)

Watch out for a lot of rear ending accidents until people get used to them.
I treat them like tree lights when down around Phoenix, but we don't have them where I live.

Use those lights to practice my dragstrip launches, that's about all they are good for.....:lol::lol:

What are they? On ramps here in Oklahoma don't have any lights or traffic devices.

What are they? On ramps here in Oklahoma don't have any lights or traffic devices.

I don't know what they are?

They meter the frequency of the cars getting on the freeway by making you wait until the light turns green.
After it turns green and you go, it turns red again for the next car and does the same with them.

light.jpg

Atlanta put them in a few years ago. Now traffic backs up the on ramp...

Somebody's uncle got rich installing them, I'm sure.

We have them here on I-476 and they are only used during rush hour. They work very well with the volume and speed of traffic on the road. It was near gridlock before they installed them.

First one of those I ever saw was in 1968........the ramps off Treasure Island onto the Oakland/ Frisco bay bridge

At peak times, they stationed a Marine out there to direct traffic. He'd look down the concrete wall behind you where you could not see, and motion you to GO!!! You had better !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!GO!!!!!!!!!!!!

They tried them on one of the interstates here. Accidents increased and they did away with them.

Like Ddaddy said, it cuts down on the traffic on the freeway. Yes the ramp backs up, but that is the design.

In theory it may sound like a good thing but if you add that to the middle/ end of a short ramp, add the anemic cars that are on the road today and then for the heck of it add the self involved idiots that do not know how to allow traffic to merge it causes accidents.

We've always had it. I never had a problem punching it LOL, but if I had a very under-powered car I'd be scared...

-
Back