Rams with rust

-
wow! I feel lucky. 95 3500 bought it new, 175,000 NO rust anywhere but the fri--ing white paint peeled of sides of bed several years back. better than rust for sure!!!!!
sorry to hear Ma Mopar is either so stupid or just rather design in obsolete!!!! ????

"Rams with rust" That's kinda redundant, ain't it?

i have a 97 and 98 4 wheel drive 1500's and they are getting rust on bottom of doors where the weep holes have clogged, i keep them clean as much as possible now, i have had to replace fuel tank straps on both from rusting out. and brake lines on both from front to rear. the 98 leaf spring shackles on rear of springs rusted and broke with a load on it. also have a 2001 2500 ram van that is rusting bad below fuel door, i have bought new metal to fix when weather gets better.

if it was me i'd probably get it down to bare metal where the rust is, put some POR15 black on (dont get that crap on your hands it lasts a week lol), repaint, then put the flares on like someone mentioned.

The problem is that they rust from the inside between the outer bed panel and the inner wheel well. You can't get to that area, other than through the 'drain holes', and treating the outside won't really help.

I don't know of a good way to fix it short of cutting the old bedside off, cleaning the foam out, and installing a new bedside. Still, without some way to treat the area between the bedside and the inner wheel well, it will eventually rust again. I suppose a really good undercoater with a long wand could get to it from underneath, going from the front and rear of the wheel house.

The 'cheap' fix is to install the fender flares and cover it up.

The problem isn't limited to Dodges, Fords and Chevys each have their own rust problems.
Dallas

funny thing about aluminum... when bolted to stainless steel, & in the presence of clorine, the galvanic processes cause it to oxidize much faster than when there is not clorine present.

road salt will do a number on those ford pickups if there are stainless steel parts next to the aluminum

when two different metals come in contact, a small but measurable voltage is created.

http://aluminumsurface.blogspot.com/2009/04/corrosion-between-anodized-aluminum-and.html

I've got an '03 and an '06 that still look new, but oh wait, they're in California! Not sure what is used in the Sierra but I make sure to do a thorough rinse after any trip through snow country. Not a speck of rust anywhere, same for my '67 Barracuda, '06 Dakota and '09 Journey RT.

wow! I feel lucky. 95 3500 bought it new, 175,000 NO rust anywhere but the fri--ing white paint peeled of sides of bed several years back. better than rust for sure!!!!!
sorry to hear Ma Mopar is either so stupid or just rather design in obsolete!!!! ????

I don't think it's either a design issue or a stupidity issue. As with everything in the automobile industry, today, I think it's just a matter of keeping production costs, down.

I am in NJ also. I bought my 98 Dakota R/T club cab brand new and these last few years its really beginning to look its age. I used to stay on top of it, waxing and detailing it but that clear coat is peeling like a bad sunburn. Talk about rust problems, my front bumper is rusted through on the drivers side and my driver side door hinges are starting to squeak loud with surface rust. But what really got me going was the rust between the inner wheel wells and the cab. I forgot why i had to remove the well but when i saw the rust between the lower part of the firewall where it meets the frame, i was shocked. Talk about design flaws, all the water and debris gets trapped in there and you really don't even notice it. Plus i think I read somewhere during that time frame is when Dodge was getting there steel from China if I correctly remember. Anyway just wanted to sound off a little bit, lol. By the way, my name is Robert. I usually don't post on the forum but I really enjoy reading some of the ongoing projects on here. I also have a 1970 Duster 340 4 speed. Hopefully i will start restoring it soon since I finally secured a garage for it. Rents in Jersey are a crime. I will post pics when the project begins.

I guess that means everybody needs a new F150.

My '02 F150 original paint has no rust. Lots of pickups in our area and I've seen many Rams with rust and paint problems. For the daily driver I guess I'll be sticking with Ford.

Saw this exact same area go to hell on a friend's Ram down in Tulsa. A co-worker's truck up here in Denver is now seeing some.

This is me not caring.

I'll never buy a new car.

Notice that everyone with rusty rams are in the rust belt? Funny how that works.

They should be built to resist some of the rust.

Last I knew they were designed in Detroit, MI. They have some rough winters there....

My 02 Cheby aint rusting....

My 2000 Chevy, and my 94 Ford van have ZERO rust. None.

Coming from NJ ( the salt belt) you learn before you're old enough to drive how to fight it as long as you can.

I'm not claiming that GM and Ford do anything better than Dodge, as I posted earlier by 76 Dodge van was 10+ years old with 187,000 miles on it before the first bit of rust appeared.

Washing under the car, truck, whatever, is as important as washing the "shiny side".
Pulling the rubber body plugs and running water through the cavities help. Just remember to allow drying time ( that can be sped up with some compressed air, or even just a hose attached to a leaf blower or hair driver, for that matter).

the solution is simple: take off rusty factory bed, buy one of those $8,000 cattlemans flatbed with the hydraulic bale lift. get ya a 30-30 for the gun rack, a big cowdog to ride in back, move to Mo or Ok, buy ya a big cattle ranch with those $2000 monna cows, and it won't snow too much either!?????? LOL

My '02 F150 original paint has no rust. Lots of pickups in our area and I've seen many Rams with rust and paint problems. For the daily driver I guess I'll be sticking with Ford.

You cain't buy an "02" Ferd here without rust, same place as the Dodge's,...and worse,...My 05 Chevy Express work van has rust on the bottom of all 6 doors as well,...

I undercoated the Caliber, and the Neon myself with a case of Napa rattlecan undercoating as soon as i got em home,... just did the Sierra as well, bein as it came from Colorado,...

I hadda do some homework, cause I just got a 2014 monster F550 for the fire dept,...No one does undercoating in my area,...seems to me it woulds be a hellava business to start,...

Part of the issue must be too much washing and not enough driving, lol. My 05 Durango is a week away from 200,000 miles, driven year round, never garaged, and was last washed in 2009. Couple small bubbles on the gate, that's all. A local guy has an 06 with half the mileage, always clean (even in winter), garage kept, and the bottom 4 inches of his gate is GONE!

No manufacturer is any better, salt is salt. In 2009 the local garage was replacing the rusted out rear trailing arms on a low mileage 2005 Ford SUV, can't remember if it was an Exploder or an Expedition. Four years old and ready to lose the rear axle. Garage kept vehicle.

Drive them hard all day, don't wash them, and let them sleep outdoors. Seems to be working for me. Gives time for everything to dry out? Maybe mine just don't sit still long enough to rust? Dunno, just glad it's still goin.

According to my dealer rear bumpers are supposed to rust. I took my 2009 in when paint started flaking off and rust first started appearing on the back bumper the first winter and was told that is "normal"" and not under warranty because the city salts the streets in the winter. I have seen a lot of Rams with rust on the back bumper and nowhere else.

Attachments

• DSC02936.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 108
According to my dealer rear bumpers are supposed to rust. I took my 2009 in when paint started flaking off and rust first started appearing on the back bumper the first winter and was told that is "normal"" and not under warranty because the city salts the streets in the winter. I have seen a lot of Rams with rust on the back bumper and nowhere else.

Its time for a roll pan .

-
Back