Ran the "low dollar 318" in the Duster today

-

318willrun

Utube channel 318willrun
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Thought I'd post here, also, as my "low dollar 318 hop up" thread has really got long. If ya want to know about what the Duster is, you'll have to visit my thread. However, the car coughed and sputtered out of the hole (rotten eddy, or I need to get smarter :realcrazy:) giving me a POOR 2.43 60 ft. time...... YIKES.
But, I'm thrilled with how the car responded after that, clicking off about 94 mph (93.9) and a 15.20. Get rid of the coughing will lower the 60 ft time, and this car is in the 14's ..... with a 498 dollar 318 with exhaust manifolds, stock converter and stock gears (2.76 ?). Right on my target build :)
Oh, by the way, very humid as rain was in the forcast for thunderstorms throughout the day. I think the temperature was 82. My track is 700 ft above sea level.

DSCN0720.JPG

Last edited:
That's very impressive for that drivetrain. I've seen alot more expensive combos run alot slower than that. Great job on that 318, go get in the 14s.......

That is fantastic. You will trim it right on down.

Nice runner! A good bracket combo when you get the stumble worked out.

Good on you! 94 with a teener and 2.76s; awesome. That's a two-gear hard-pulling, hunk a SBM iron. Who knew!
Thunder-teen
LOL.... you are right, 2 gear.... :D I shifted to 3rd gear about the last 100 ft.

My math says depending on your TC slip,you mightabin at 5500, so the shift cost you a bit.
You know what that means.... your car might be even faster than the timeslip shows.

Last edited:
It's a good thing you shifted into high gear. when I had my 318 in the Duster what did it in was trying to hold 3rd gear with the 4-speed all the way to the finish line. It actually did it once lol, but that was the last ones LOL
:BangHead:
LOL.... you are right, 2 gear.... :D I shifted to 3rd gear about the last 100 ft.

My math says depending on your TC slip,you mightabin at 5500, so the shift cost you a bit.
You know what that means.... your car is even faster than the timeslip shows.
I don't have a tach in the car yet (shifted by ear and feel for the car... LOL), but I guessed I was shifting at about 5500 rpms. Seemed about right by feel and ear, not sure if more would have helped it or not.... remember, no headers...
It's a good thing you shifted into high gear. when I had my 318 in the Duster what did it in was trying to hold 3rd gear with the 4-speed all the way to the finish line. It actually did it once lol, but that was the last ones LOL
:BangHead:
I thought for a second about holding it to the end.... LOL. Didn't get any runs in to mess around. Got there to late...

Hey 318willrun, after reading through your s-u-p-e-r-l-o-n-g thread several times, and having completely lost track of all the things you did for five hundred bucks, can you give us a simple list of the things that you did with your teener?

94 mph is a low 14, 14.25-14.30 with a 2.00 60' time. Getting rid of the bog should also help improve your MPH.

Get it to leave and it will run mid 14's easily. Good solid run for the first time out.

Even with the bog it seems you meet your goal. In the other threads OP you stated 73 340 duster does low 15 and high 14 with slicks.

And you done it with slightly less.
Your running 318 manifolds vs 340.
Less converter .
Less gear.
And a 318 would need more converter and gear to be equal.
Same intake and basically carb
Similar CR
IIRC slightly hotter cam
That leaves heads I'm guessing better than 1.88 but probably less than 2.02.
And 318 are a waste of time lol

Hey 318willrun, after reading through your s-u-p-e-r-l-o-n-g thread several times, and having completely lost track of all the things you did for five hundred bucks, can you give us a simple list of the things that you did with your teener?
Here it is.....
600 eddy - 85.00 to my front door (ebay)
Cast intake - 60.00 to my front door (FABO)
KS Fel 2114 complete engine gasket kit - 58.00 (Summit)
EDL5877 springs - 48.00 (Summit)
K50052 cam kit - 110.00 (Summit)
Double roller timing set - 39.00 (Summit)
Sealed Power exhaust valves - 56.00 (Summit I think)
Porting, cleaning heads and valve grinding compound - 35.00
8 qty of 1/4 inch set screws to plug smog holes - 3.00
4bbl carb base gasket - 1.00

I believe this to be the completed list.... 495.00 dollars. I'd have to go through the other thread, but I think this is pretty accurate. This build could be done with the engine in the car. My motor has 120,000 miles on it. Only issue right now is the eddy killing the 60 ft. I'll get things straightened out, more dialed in......

Add more accelerator enrichment to try and remove the stumble when accelerating (move the lever one notch closer to the carb)

Is the Edelbrock a 1405 or a 1406? Have you swapped to heavier step-up springs? If you're running more than 14-15" of idle vacuum, the pink spring usually works well.

-
Back