Rant~

-
I compare it to people who buy a house to dump money & time into it to "flip" it for more than they bought it for + the money spent on fixing it up; they never view it as a "home", but merely as a piece of property from which to profit.
I have an emotional attachment to my Dart, and the money I spend on it I view as being spent to make the car into what I want it to be, not so I can make it more valuable in someone else's eyes to turn a profit later. Call me foolish, but nothing is more satisfying than going out to the garage on a Saturday morning and firing that puppy up to drive my weekend errands.

I just like to tell everyone that the projects and parts I have are expensive and valuable to justify to them the idiocy of me keeping, storing and hauling them around LOL

Grant

well I obviously know that my car isnt worth anywhere what I have in it. I knew that when I built it. Its for me. Now.. that being said... you couldnt build it for any $16K and that would be the selling price. Maybe not what some people would spend, but if ya want a slick nice car with killer paint... thats what it would cost ya. If ya want a $5,000. A-BODY then I will strip the paint back off and whack a few dents in it for ya and remove the rear end and stab in that 7 1/4 out back. LOL .... I hear your rant... I understand it... theres just two sides of the fence. Getting to know both sides of the fence will ensue a better understanding.

People see the outrageous prices for some muscle cars and figure they can make a profit off the rubes that don't know what their abodies are worth.

That said I am not a Ford guy at all but that Pinto 360scamp posted was pretty cool in that it is something totally different and unexpected way.

....where I grew up...we had several 455 pintos..saying that, I remember how they used to blow up :)

When we started looking for a duster/demon in the 2 to 5K range..and I agree with Snake, they don't exist here without pouring tons of bucks to make them drivable. I am doing this to help the withdrawal symptons fron 2 kids that MX a bit more bearable..that and they are not into rice burners or in fact, my first love, British cars.

Who knows if they will become valuable ? ..but I will say that this is one of the cheapest ways to have fun with your kids and to know they arre not on some streat corner smoking dope..

I quit work to stay home with our kids when they were 7 and 9 to do everything with them..I was making really good bucks but they only grow up once..

This was a fun thread with lots of good coments.

Grassy

I may put 10-20k into my wagon but I am not ever going to sell it. Same with my cuda. I built them to MY taste and will enjoy every mile on them. My cuda has about 35k in it, but that number is irrelevant, since I will never get rid of it.

That's pretty much how I view all the different stuff we collect. My husband's Mickey Mantle rookie card is monetarily worthless because he will never sell it.

I suppose if I HAD to sell my car, I'd remove the most expensive thing on it (the rebuilt 340, ) put a 318 back in it and probably not lose all that much dough.

I build my cars to suit me and I dont buy to flip. I buy something that I will keep. I might have $6,500 in my duster and $4250 of it was to purchase it completley stock.

Perhaps obsession... It's all about the car. Although new here, I am learning. I would love a project, but it does look like it will be less expensive to buy a finished project. I am on the fence about it. I am thinking a project might have rewards that are worth more than money... hmmm. I love being here. I hope to make friends with all of those who love these wonderful cars.

And that brings me the dilemma that I'm having with my '71 Demon. When I think about all the things I want to do to a car - mega cube HEMI (maybe with forced induction), Keisler 5-speed stick, Multi-port fuel injection, mega-watt dvd/stereo, killer paint, make it handle like it's on rails, etc., the Demon is not the car I want to sink that kind of money into. Sorry to be honest. I like my Demon but it's not really the car for me. Funny as it may seem, I knew it from the day I bought it. And I have owned the Demon longer than any other car that I was the caretaker of. I'd rather put that kind of money into a '70 to '71 E-body or a '70 Charger. That will be the last car that I ever own. The car that I'll never get rid of.

Or I just may say, "screw it all, lets find a Viper!". Then I'll have a pic or two for the "Hot Mopar Babes" thread. =P~

Wylde1.

Wow, do I sound crabby in my post above. Sorry everyone, I didn't mean to be so brushy. I think I need a cookie or something!!! Geof

I am thinking of using my 68 Dart as a stepping stone to get my Duster done. it will be faster to just do the Duster, but I think it would be fun to have the Dart as well.

I am also thinking of selling the Dart. I don't really need it, and it is just sitting. It could go to a good home and get back on the road a lot faster...

Hmmm...

j

Some of you guys left some nice comments to my rant. I thought it might get pulled or something. I knw that something is only worth what someone will pay for it as I say that all the time, but that wasn't my point. I know I am kinf of a cheap guy and that's alright, but I am here to enjoy my cars. Toolmanmike, I appreciate your comments, and nice Dart, btw. 64dart170, I totally agree. Slantscamp... you have one of the coolest and quickest built a-body wagons that I have seen. Wanna do mine? :)
Yesterday I was kind of irked that when I want to sell an early a-body, it is only worth $700, but if I wanted to buy that same car, I'd be worth $4000 with no title from them. then I see these other cars with engines too powerful for their own good trying to sell int he $18-$20K range. Just rediculus. No doubt that some of ya'll have some nice cars that you put $30,000 into. Just not for me. Thanks all.

The thing is, you see a 10 second demon for sale, for 20 grand,
in imaculate condition with all the good stuff in it an on it, you couldnt
build it for that price,not even using 2nd hand bits,then yes,
to me its worth it!

Cuz youd have to spend 35 odd to try replicate it.

So why does everybody think the a-bodies will never be worth anything ??

I was told that about MGs and other British cars..and now look at them..

Grassy

The thing is, you see a 10 second demon for sale, for 20 grand,
in imaculate condition with all the good stuff in it an on it, you couldnt
build it for that price,not even using 2nd hand bits,then yes,
to me its worth it

Well worth it..i know a duster you couldn't touch for less then $25k...:-D:-D

You mean the way folks took $1000 dollar e-bodies in the 90's put big money in them and tried to sell them for massive money. Then amazingly the market explodes for these cars & anything hemi. Rust buckets were suddenly selling for $30,000. Don't attack early-a's. They are no different than any collectable and are quickly becoming known on the market. These jewels are the last affordable mopar's with any coolness & the only thing keeping them in check is the recession. Tip of the day. Start hording early-a parts( or if you don't you can buy them from me) there time is coming.

Oldschoolcuda

Yeh i say hold onto anything pre 74 an sooner or later youl
be onto a winner.
Im tryin to buy my mum a newish type car an its crazy to
see how fast you lose money on these 4 cylinder jap car or cars
made locally.

For example here in aus.
We have the VE model commodore ss,ls2 v8,t56 manual,yada
yada, also known there in the u.s as the 4 door pontiac
gto or something, 2 years ago here,brand new,55 grand, i found one
the other day, for 26,000 dollars an it only had 17,000 km on it.
Thats a joke how much its dropped in value...

I think I see the problem. Too many people with more money than brains. Darts and Valiants were never the expensive cars. They were the cars our poor moms and dads were driving to work when we were kids. They are great cars with their slant sixes and little V-8s in them. Some of you have to have more power and more speed and more of this and that. At some point, us poor guys got to get out of the hobby as it is becoming too expensive. Just cause someone is willing to pay $30,000 for an early A-body, doesn't make it worth it to me. I know the E-bodies are not worth it to me. I can't afford to drag race the early B-bodies anymore. I
Grassy... who said the early A-bodies won't be worth anything? I am just hoping that they stay affordable.
Nemesis... a demon or Duster is not an early A-body. Neither is a "jap car"... stay on track. :)
Oldschoolcuda... who is attaching the a-bodies? I am 'attacking' those who are upping the price of them by doing such rediculous things to them.
RPM... that is what some of these guys don't get (not the ones posting here) These cars are NOT worth what you put into them, so quit trying to sell them for that much. It is just so hard for me to emjoy a car when I am worried about someone hitting it when I am driving down the street.

I think judging abother cars value based on either the original price catagory or pre-mopar boom values is well... kind of stupid for lack of a better term. If someone drops 10, 20 , 50K into a car, then duplicating it would cost that much. Seems to reason anyway. The fact that a lot of enthusiasts are upgrading these cars well beyond where they used to be is the reason we have any reproduction parts, hot rod engine stuff, and suspension upgrades. Why ***** about it. If you can't afford to buy a particular car, make mroe money, or buy what you can afford. Because the cars were low option low dollars originally means jack squat once they are improved. The bodies sucked, the engines were decent, but the rest of the cars were slammed together to get past 3-5 years of payments. A good body and paint job, even doing a lot yourself these days will cost over $5K. So a solid, fresh steel bosdy 318 car with wheels and tires, with the engine bay done, and a decent used original interior will cost at LEAST that, probably closer to $8-9K. The past was great to live through, but times change.

-
Back