Rant~

-

Valiant63

Early A-body Valiants
Reaction score
Did you ever notice how someone takes a $1000 early a-body and puts $15,000 - $20,000 or more into the car then expects to flip it for a profit or they get upset because they are having to sell the car at a loss, particularly if they did something custom to the car? I'd never spend more than $10 K on an early a-body car even if it had a Hemi stuffed into it. Most of early a-body guys wouldn't, either. Take your $15 K drivetrain out of the car and sell it that way so us guys who appreciate driving the old a-bodys can do just that. Build a car keeping in mind that you are going to have to sell it one day. If you don't like taking a loss, get outta the hobby. Is it just me that sees early A's over $10 grand and wondering why?

so......the $34K I have stuck into my Duster isnt worth $39K ??? What !!! ??

Ya what are you smoking lol here in Canada A bodies are priceless.People here pay good money for a clean car,I have never had a problim geting my money back and making a bit even after driving it a few years.

From my experience it's pretty tough to build any old car and have a nice driver for under 10K. Let alone some of the exotics we see here and other sites. Just my opinion but I seriously doubt that anyone building a car is thinking much about resale. I just have to pick which grandkid gets which car.
My $00.02, Rat

..the other MOPARs have gone stupid high..it only stands to reason that the suppy of good darts/dusters, and demons,etc is going to dry up and their prices are going to go up..at the present, these are still affortable for those that want a muscle car and not a Honda. ...My bud had a 69 charger r/t and a 71 and 73 charger..drove them all..however, I wouldn't, even on a good day, pay the amount that they are getting today.. if I am paying that amount of coin, I want land with it..

Flame away...
Ian

they are only worth what people are willing to pay. if you don't want to spend over 10k (whichever way buy or build) then don't. when you find a nicley done dart with a hemi in it for 10k let me know, i will buy it.......

Did you ever notice how someone takes a $1000 early a-body and puts $15,000 - $20,000 or more into the car then expects to flip it for a profit or they get upset because they are having to sell the car at a loss, particularly if they did something custom to the car? I'd never spend more than $10 K on an early a-body car even if it had a Hemi stuffed into it. Most of early a-body guys wouldn't, either. Take your $15 K drivetrain out of the car and sell it that way so us guys who appreciate driving the old a-bodys can do just that. Build a car keeping in mind that you are going to have to sell it one day. If you don't like taking a loss, get outta the hobby. Is it just me that sees early A's over $10 grand and wondering why?

We're with ya! We never have paid more than $2300.00 and started driving them right away! Poor country boy here wouldn't pay more than 5k on a redone one!!

I may put 10-20k into my wagon but I am not ever going to sell it. Same with my cuda. I built them to MY taste and will enjoy every mile on them. My cuda has about 35k in it, but that number is irrelevant, since I will never get rid of it.

they are only worth what people are willing to pay. if you don't want to spend over 10k (whichever way buy or build) then don't. when you find a nicley done dart with a hemi in it for 10k let me know, i will buy it.......

I'm second in that line :-D

Talk about early A's, how about the bozo on e-bag who is selling a nos hood moulding for a 66 Dart for $500. If I was restoring a 70 Hemi Cuda I would be
glad to pay $500 for a nice molding but us early A guys can't over spend for parts. I've never seen a early A go for more than $20,000. Bottom line: you buy one for a few thousand and put $30,000 in it and it's still only worth $20,000
when you're done toolman

If your original intent when buying the car is to just resell it for a big profit when it's done, you're probably not buying early-A's anyway.

As I explain to my customers before I do an appraisal. Just because you dumped close to 80 grand in parts, time and materials into your 74 pinto doesn't mean that it is WORTH 80 grand. It may be worth a lot more than most 74 pintos but it still isn't worth what or anywhere close to what you have in to it. Most of them understand but every now and then you get some "gold chainer" with is out of the box tri-five chevy or store bought 32 ford that he thinks is cool because he won a trophy at the local weekly podunk burger joint show and you get to really burst his bubble...and he pays you for it!

Oh, and that 74 pinto? Yeah it was really nice, the owner was cool as hell, it is a 1- condition, been invited twice to the Seattle rod and custom show and he drives it!

DSC04997.jpg

i know i will never get the money out of my early a. but tonight i took the wagon to a show and opened the hood. when the crowd of people gathered around the car, it made the $7,000 ive spent so far worth it. and hopefully i never have to sell it. i think most of the people on this site arnt in it for the value. thats what is nice about a body people. no offense to b and e body folks.

You can easily spend $10,000 on a motor or body and paint and you will never get that back. Just depends on what you want. My aires can fight over it when I'm gone but I'll enjoy it while I'm here.

Like the old saying goes and I'm a firm believer, "He who dies with the most toys wins"

As I explain to my customers before I do an appraisal. Just because you dumped close to 80 grand in parts, time and materials into your 74 pinto doesn't mean that it is WORTH 80 grand. It may be worth a lot more than most 74 pintos but it still isn't worth what or anywhere close to what you have in to it. Most of them understand but every now and then you get some "gold chainer" with is out of the box tri-five chevy or store bought 32 ford that he thinks is cool because he won a trophy at the local weekly podunk burger joint show and you get to really burst his bubble...and he pays you for it!

Oh, and that 74 pinto? Yeah it was really nice, the owner was cool as hell, it is a 1- condition, been invited twice to the Seattle rod and custom show and he drives it!

Even I'd drive that Pinto! And I HATE Pintos!

Some of you guys left some nice comments to my rant. I thought it might get pulled or something. I knw that something is only worth what someone will pay for it as I say that all the time, but that wasn't my point. I know I am kinf of a cheap guy and that's alright, but I am here to enjoy my cars. Toolmanmike, I appreciate your comments, and nice Dart, btw. 64dart170, I totally agree. Slantscamp... you have one of the coolest and quickest built a-body wagons that I have seen. Wanna do mine? :)
Yesterday I was kind of irked that when I want to sell an early a-body, it is only worth $700, but if I wanted to buy that same car, I'd be worth $4000 with no title from them. then I see these other cars with engines too powerful for their own good trying to sell int he $18-$20K range. Just rediculus. No doubt that some of ya'll have some nice cars that you put $30,000 into. Just not for me. Thanks all.

Most people don't know the first thing about the actual price of a car when they buy it, restore it, and then eventually sell it. They see what appears to be a too good to be true deal, buy it on a lark, then proceed to dump $$$ into it to make it their own without regard to how much it's going to be worth when finished. Only when they have to sell it do they add up what they spent and then try to get it all back out of the car to recoup their mistakes. You can thank Barrett-Jackson, Jesse James and all of the TV builders for that mentality. If they don't get the $$$ they put into it by the end of the show, are the dedicated following gonna watch the next episode??? I have never seen a car on Barrett-Jackson come with the statement... " He built it the way he wanted it because he loves this car", it's always dump unreal money into it to make a profit because it's a one-of car that the seller has no personal connection to at all. Some of them have probably never even seen the car let alone drove it.

If I added up all the $$$ I spent on the 66 I would probably have over 30K into it just the way it sits, and I bought a lot of stuff way back before anybody was even considering the early A's as anything but fringe cars. Now they're all the rage because everything else Mopar has been snapped up and the $$$ have been sent through the roof. I can tell you that 10 years ago, nobody wanted the 73 and up Dusters, Darts, Scamps and such, but now they are the only cars left that haven't been scarfed up so their popularity has soared. Dump 20K into one though and see how much you can recoup when you sell. Bottom line is this... this is a hobby for the love of the cars, and in this economy that's the only way to do one. If you're building a car to sell, you're going to be sorely disappointed with the sale offers unless you got a Hemicuda on your hands!!! Thanks Barrett-Jackson for doing your best to ruin the hobby for the real enthusiasts!!! Rant over, back to the garage, Geof

I can tell you that 10 years ago, nobody wanted the 73 and up Dusters, Darts, Scamps and such, but now they are the only cars left that haven't been scarfed up so their popularity has soared.

Watching reruns of Married with Children on TV recently and Al and Steve were restoring a 65 mustang which was the "cool car" while Al drove a beat up duster.
Now a buddy of mine is trying to sell his 71 duster for 12K.

-
Back