999yards

Reaction score
New Price Sunbeam Alpine GT - $1800 (Pipesone Minnesota) <>
00J0J_b3godZkGYcT_600x450.jpg
00000_hfUkRGmefEY_600x450.jpg
00W0W_b97hgk7XcAX_600x450.jpg
00i0i_4RJcwNpIl3w_600x450.jpg

I like it, though.

The earlier alpines looked like typical British sports cars, MG, Triumph, etc.. The Tigers were alpines with 260 or 289 fords in em. A kid I grew up with had a 67 alpine. His older brother trashed a Tiger in his high school years. Their father and uncle had a British car salvage yard, tons of cool stuff.

Those were built by Rootes. There is a Chrysler connection. Does anyone remember the Plymouth Cricket? They were built by the same company. And earlier Sunbeam Alpines received Ford small blocks and became Tigers.

Oh I see. Only Chrysler owned for a short time. Excerpt from a Hot Rod mag.

So what&#8217;s a Sunbeam? You may be familiar with the Sunbeam Tiger, which Maxwell Smart drove in the TV show Get Smart, which was British sports car that was a part of the Rootes Group. In the mid/late-1960s, Rootes was taken over by the Chrysler Corporation, which sold the Rootes-built Hillman Avenger as the Plymouth Cricket in the US.

Chrysler also sold the Sunbeam Alpine GT in the US, which was based on the Sunbeam Rapier that was produced in the UK from 1967-76 but the Alpine GT only appeared in the US for a short period of time due to poor sales and Chrysler&#8217;s mismanagement of its captive brands. By 1978, Chrysler Europe (which also included France&#8217;s Simca and Talbot) was absorbed by PSA Citroen-Peugeot.

Despite the ad calling this Alpine GT a &#8220;mini Barracuda&#8221; it was designed before Chrysler&#8217;s involvement. Originally equipped with a 1.7-liter slant-4 with overdrive 4-speed, we&#8217;d toss it and prep a nice 340 from a &#8220;real&#8221; Barracuda (maybe if we&#8217;re feeling masochistic, a 426 in the back a la Hemi Underglass) and then hit the shows with a Mopar or No Car bumpersticker with no sense of irony.

Read more: http://blogs.hotrod.com/this-sunbeam-alpine-gt-needs-a-mopar-infusion-73071.html#ixzz3Dgu4fo8l
Follow us: @HotRodMagazine on Twitter | HotRodMag on Facebook

My first car was a 1962 Sunbeam Alpine. Brought it in 67. Fun to drive, but heater didn't cut it in Detroit winters.

That has been for sale here a long time. It is kinda of neat looking but obviously no one has any interest in it, since they cant get rid of it.

Yup. Chrysler sure DID have something to do with Sunbeam / Alpine. There were rumors for a long time that there were "some" 273 powered Tigers. I've never been able to confirm this, and you'd think "the internet" would know, LMAO

The joke use to be "built by Sunbeam, owned by Chrysler, and powered by Ford."

When I said they had nuthin to do with them I meant there were no Chrysler powered ones. Show me one. Make me eat my hat.

All Tiger's were FORD powered. Used to see the all the time in Europe.

Saw this on a trailer in the car corral at the Little Falls car show a couple of weeks ago. I don't know if Keith (66340sedan) got a chance to go through the car corral. He was busy swapping.

Yep no chrysler powered sunbeams as the ford V8 would fit in but the LA small block was too wide to fit in the engine bay, we here in australia had more of the rootes group chryslers in the late 60's and they were marketed as hillmans we even had them through to 1971 or 72
9k=
A sporty style powered by a 1998cc inline 4
images
9k=
9k=

Looks like a Cuda from the rear and an Opel from the front. I could see a 426 HEMI in it!

-
Back