"Rat Rod" black A-bodies photo request

-

bighammer

Reaction score
I would really like to see some A-bodies painted in "rat rod" black or satin black. I am trying to convince myself to spend big bucks to get my car painted back to the original color, but with the expense of doing the engine swap right now, I'm considering painting it myself. At least it would be all one color! I have painted two cars in the past, and I did a good looking job.

Eastwood has a paint kit for $119 includes primer, 2 part paint, etc. thinking about going this route, but I would love to see a Dart painted like this before I commit. Link: http://www.eastwood.com/rat-rod-flat-black-paint-kit.html?srccode=ga080010

When my dad was in high school (in the 50's), he said that the cool thing that guys did with their cars was to put them in primer, make em look like a hot rod project in progress. In fact they would take a car with perfectly good paint and cover it in primer, just for the look!

The Rat Rod black is actually a paint, not primer, so it will protect the metal.

Anyway, what do you think? Show me some satin black A-bodies!

imo i would rather sport reg primer with overspray from the jambs being done,in fact i have had more than one hotrod look like that.(cause i'm to lazy to finish the bodywork) lol

I am painting my 71 Demon 440 with John Deere "Blitz Black". It was only $30 a gallon when I bought it last fall. And you can buy it by the spray can or quart. Goes on real easy and I can carry a can of touch up with me. You can Google it to see others who have used it.
:burnout:

Attachments

• IMG_0151.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 380
Paint is the biggest waste of money on a car, unless that is, you might want to sell it shortly after.

When it comes to cars, and particularly dailydrivers, I just want something on the sheetmetal to make it look 'decent' and more, to keep it from rusting.

So I usually just run out to the store to grab a can of regular semiflat black housepaint, some thin and wide maskingtape, and a paintroller-set.
In the case of my current dailydriver I also used semiflat orange as I still had a can of that laying around.

IMG_1474.jpg

Then, one day after a days work, you get to your car and find some FH has massaged your car's fender.
This would be the 'perfect' reason for me to never pay serious money for a paintjob on a car. It usually are always others that screw up your stuff...

20120227-73Dart-FenderDamage-IMG_1796.jpg

20120227-73Dart-FenderDamage-IMG_1795.jpg

The paint has some amount of shine to it but it doesn't show in the pictures when the weather was overcast.

Here's an earlier but better example;

DSC07636-crop.jpg

CIMG9067-crop.jpg

How bout this???

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    63.8 KB · Views: 380
  • 015.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 360
I am thinking along the same lines. My car is already black so I probably won't shoot the jambs, but a buddy of mine says we could do it in a weekend at his shop. Strip everything off and scuff the paint on Friday night. Shoot the paint on Saturday, reassemble everything on Sunday. It would be fine for a driver, which is exactly what my car is!

I went flat black as a temporary color until real paint. The plan is for a burnt orange, like the PT Cruiser color. In the mean time, I love the look I've got.

in the process of redoing the flat black , its cheap so I can do it every spring untill see is perfect LOL.

Cheers and good painting.

Attachments

• 65 Cuda 018.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 321
  • 65 cuda 022.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 310
  • 1965 cuda.jpg
    13.6 KB · Views: 308
  • 65 cuda 021.jpg
    48.4 KB · Views: 302
  • 65 Cuda 008.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 313
  • 65 Cuda 010.jpg
    63.2 KB · Views: 291
  • 65 cuda.jpg
    85 KB · Views: 329
I was originally thinking flat black for my driver, but after seeing this thread I really like the satin look on BigBlockMopars ride.

-
Back