Rat Style Muscle Cars

-

72_Durstya

Reaction score
I watched a movie called Highwaymen the other day and it starred a 1968 Barracuda Fastback Formula S. It's the same car that was used in the epsiode of Malcolm in the Middle when Malcolm gets his first car.

If and when I get the money to get one myself THIS is EXACTLY how I'd have it done, faded paint and all!

I don't know if many people here know about the "hot new thing" but just like the "Rat Rod" thing people are making "Rat Muscle Cars" now. Which I've have always been a fan of even before it's new "Title". Theres just something so cool about a beaten up old muscle car cruising down a lone country road heading in no particular direction, just enjoying the journey and the places it takes you.

So post a pic of your purposely unfinished projects or "Rat Muscle Cars"

68ratcuda.jpg

You mean to tell me my old car that needs paint is cool now8) Well I could call it a rat muscle car till I get some paint on it LOL.

024.jpg

I don't have a picture of it but when I got my scamp it was in flat black primer, and I told everyone that I could put my engine in and drive it that way and it would still be the coolest car in town. and to tell the truth I still say it even with the bad spots cut out of the body:toothy10:

You could always re-do the Joe Dirt Daytona ... or just drive my dart, faded paint, mismatched paint, wheel lip rust ...

I want another Rat Muscle. I used to live on gravel roads and driving my nice painted Mopars 3 miles at 15 mph got old quik.
Some of the most fun I have ever had was throwing my old Duster sideways at 50mph to slow down to drift thru the corners.
I want to do that again. :burnout:

humm,i never thought this would be considered cool,lol.With my luck,mines prob too finished to be a rat muscle,just half finished.

Heres another favorite of mine, the faded red 1969 Dodge Charger fro the movie The Forsaken.

Only pic I could find of it, sorry it's pretty dark.

081.jpg

Sheesh, Tobysoldblue, is that 1 can or 2 cans of bondo on that front spoiler??????

Car Craft is in love with the weathered look of "Patina" lately....sort of the "barn fresh" thing. Ever notice cars seem cooler and more interesting before they get finished? Must be why we have to go get another one when we finish one. Sort of like turning back the clock.
I am also a vintage heavy equipment fan, there's nothing I like as much as seeing some old rusty, forgotten piece of machinery brought back from the grave! Especially, if it had a tree growing through it for some reason!
That would be a good post in itself. (hint, hint)
alan627b

I've always been a fan of the retro, sometimes ratty look....I always have been, not always by choice.

Here's my first car...I think it fit the bill pretty well, got it at age 14 in '97, was my daily driver until 2000 or so until I sold it and my other Coronet, like a moron. (Reward for info leading to either car or another cheap Coronet)

It had no heat, no air (previous owner removed) and no radio (thumbwheel AM was broke) and it was great! Though the 325/50/15's weren't always fun in the rain....

2doorcoronet.jpg

whitecarandgtx.jpg

whitecarwithscoop.jpg

mycoronets.jpg

Bring the retro rides on....they're fun and to me what these cars have always been about.

do these count? Notice no grill in the aspen and taped on front turn signals, Also striped interior no weather striping and it was fun.

DCP_4055.jpg

3f07.jpg

I have had mine in primer for 7 years gona paint it soon. It's nice to be able to just rattle can a bad spot to make it look good again!

LOL
Hell, I guess every Mopar I've ever owned (26 years worth) has been Rat style.
I was always a performance before paint kind of guy. Hopefully someday I'll have a nicely painted Mopar.

heres mine its an old *** macco paint job, i bought the car from the original family. after the transformation i went 11.81@112mph. ive had it 10 years, and about 5 weeks ago it just got painted. of coarse about the last 4 years i wished it was painted, now it looks too nice to me, i keep saying i liked it better before. luckily i have a 67 2 dr sedan that going to be uglier and faster. as for the name, i always thought they were called sleepers. i missed out on the big street race craze around here when there were a lot more old cars on the road but i did hang out with alot of older friends that all had sleepers and i thought it was the coolest thing so of coarse my build was drivetrain first appearance later. my bud has a wicked 66 lemans with the vinyl top peeling off 70s collision repair PMD wheels with white walls on the front, sounds like it would be a high 13 sec car, looks like a 16 second car but if he ever gets a good pass out of it it will be 10.80 or better. went 11.40 breaking the driveshaft on the 2-3 shift.
Scan10030-1-1.jpg

As of last week...just resanded everything back off blocking it and hopefully will be reprimed in black for Monster Mopar weekend.

l_3d2a97aeaac258ce2f47e905d372cce9.jpg

I have always had the opinion that a fancy paint job doesn't make the car go any faster. I have a red 83 mustang that I have been running around in all summer and it has two colors of crappy red paint on it, but it sure flys when you put your foot in it. Now if someone would buy it so the valiant can get on the road in all it's two tone splender.

GSS340, that is one of the coolest things I have seen all day.

-
Back