-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
hey guys

I installed a ratchet shifter in my 71 V8 duster with dougs headers
I have a heat insulation sleeve on it

the first cable melted within a day, it must have ran across the headers

so I installed a new cable yesterday and routed it in between the block and the headers
going over the starter and looping back towards the transmission

now, after a day of driving it is starting to bind, just like the first one did just before it went out

what am I doing wrong?

(or better yet, how in the world should I be doing it?)

Did this on 3 of my bracket cars.I will guess the cable goes in at the front to the bracket.I'll help you out with a few pictures.(not the best but you'll get the idea. RED cable) First buy the 6 ft cable.Run the cable to the right side of the trans hump out to the bell housing,under the inspection plate area, to the bracket.Made a few tin shields.May not be the only way or the right way but it worked for me.No more binding,No more cooked cable.Just a thought..

Attachments

• IMG_0430.jpg
    40.5 KB · Views: 347
  • IMG_0431.jpg
    29.7 KB · Views: 293
Try wrapping the header in the area of the cable. Xrp make a silicon fiber glass insulated heat hose shield. Works great for shifter cables

Had to wrap this one header tube to keep that -16 hose from melting. 2 layers.

Attachments

• 1443738740198-1157596688.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 279
thanks for the replies guys
this is really frustrating me

Darter, that looks real nice
my only concern with that would be having to sharp a bend where the cable enters the bracket that is mounted on the transmission?

one more thought, does anyone have any thoughts on getting the shorter cable instead of the longer one?

promatic II

and its running by the engine because it was the only way I could conceive to install it (the way the transmission bolts to it makes it hard to reach it without kinking the cable any other way...or so I thought)

When I ran my Promatic, I went through the hump, looped up toward the distributor and looped back down to the shift shaft. A nice gentle loop up and around right on the trans. I had no issues.

I now have a Cheetah, and I really like it, through the hump, around the right side of the trans and back up the left.

If it's starting to stick, you may need another cable.

When I ran my Promatic, I went through the hump, looped up toward the distributor and looped back down to the shift shaft. A nice gentle loop up and around right on the trans. I had no issues.

I now have a Cheetah, and I really like it, through the hump, around the right side of the trans and back up the left.

This is how I ran mine as well. A few hundred miles in and no issue at all.

ill tear it all apart and try that over the weekend

I sure hope I don't need another one...:banghead:

I ran my Promatic II through the floor sweeping up the left side of the block and looped back down to the trans.
Then I attached a nylon loop around that and the starter cable to heep it away from the header tubes.
The starter cable and shifter cable do not come in contact with each other.
Nice and smooth and easy to move.

Just be ready to lube the shifter assembly itself every few months to keep it smooth.
I use spray graphite that goes on wet and then dries leaving the graphite.

The photos make it hard to see but there were no sharp curves in the cable to the bracket.

-
Back