ratchet shifter

-

diymirage

HP@idle > hondaHP@redline
Reaction score
hello fellow mopar lovers

I have been toying with the idea of installing a ratchet shifter in my 71 duster
(it does have a bench seat)

since I have the engine and transmission out right now I figured this would be the best time to install one, but I would hate to pay full price for a brand new one

anyone have one laying around with the appropriate cables ends and brackets needed for a 727, they are willing to part with?

thanks for the heads up guys, those do look better then some of the prices ive come across

I also used a B&M quicksilver ratchet shifter from summit racing http://www.summitracing.com/parts/bmm-80683

WE were even able to make it fit in the stock shifter console. It looks and works great. Good luck!

that one is definitely more then I would like to pay

not to worried about it fitting the console...that would look great...if I had one

mine is a column shift bench seat car :D

The price on the ebay auction is pretty great, but I like the smaller body of the TCI personally in the pace link i posted. I had a quicksilver with a bench in my dart in the day, and the shifter has to sit a bit too far forward with a bench, unless you have monkey arms. lol :cheers:

yeah, I looked at the TCI aswell, but still more then I want to spend

being able to reach it is a concern though
I wonder if I could install on backwards?
that way, when I want to shift up I pull the lever towards me, that makes more sense anyway since the acceleration pushes you back anyway

on a side note, most of these say that have a back up light switch build in, is that necessary with the 727 tranny or can I keep using the stock one?

The distance forward isn't ridiculous, you should be able to go with the hurst, thats a great deal. I just know that now that i have bucket racing seats in it, i wish it was further back.
but no, don't flip it around or anything goofy, just mount it back as far as you can. you don't do much drilling into the floor, so i suppose you could always move it back if you ever switched to buckets, i just haven't done that because i know i drilled my hole too far forward for the shift cable, for the "console" to not cover it if i move it.

and yes, you leave the stock neutral safety switch, as it controls your reverse lights. you dont need the ones it comes with.

cool, I'm not planning to ever get rid of the bench
to me, its part of that muscle car feeling

That one looks decent dan, does it have the brackets that mount to the transmisson?

Not trying to block your sale, but I'd spend the $15 more and get the NEW Hurst shifter in the eBay ad. I bought a used shifter and got burnt once, have had no problems since I went with the Pro-matic II above. It's a good solid shifter and you can't beat that price.

I found a good used one, but like was said earlier I ended up buying a new cable. Also made a mount to go under the shifter as I found it a bit low with the bench seat. Good luck!!

Not trying to block your sale, but I'd spend the $15 more and get the NEW Hurst shifter in the eBay ad. I bought a used shifter and got burnt once, have had no problems since I went with the Pro-matic II above. It's a good solid shifter and you can't beat that price.

I'm definitely considering it
do you have a bench in your car?

in still trying to figure out the reach

I have B&M mega shifter, yes they are a ratchet shifter. You can have it just pay for shipping. All I have is the shifter, no cable, brackets or handle. I live in PA. 17856

thanks for the offer Cawley, but by the time I pay for shipping, buy a cable, brackets and handle I might as well buy a whole new set-up

I think I will go with the autostick II listed about
I kinda like the cleaner look of the reverse lockup set up that one anyway

do you guys have any suggestions on how to mount this?
I have the engine and transmission out, so does it make sense to hook the cable up to the transmission before I drop it in or should I install the transmission first?

I have some thoughts for you. When installing the cable, absolutely install a heat sleeve, or it will melt. If you can weld, consider making a riser to position the shifter where it's most comfortable. Last, if it comes with sheet metal style mounting hardware, change it to bolts with lock washers, and flat washers. The sheet metal screws work loose after a while, and the holes end up enlarged.

all good points furrie
I read somewhere people putting a sleeve around the cable, but I cant remember what they used, fuel line maybe?

with the transmission out of the car changing to nuts and bolt should be a breeze, easy access now :)

Do a search on the Hurst Promatic II for problems. I have one in my Dart and it worked perfectly out of the box with a 904, but when I switched transmissions, I ended up spending a week with it trying to get the detents on the shifter to match the detents on the transmission. Lesson here is if you get it installed and working, make sure you mark every adjustable point if you ever have to reinstall/re-connect the shifter.

With some creativity you can fit the Hurst Promatic II inside a stock console:
lowbackseat.jpg

If you want I can take a picture of what I used to bring the shifter up to the right height for a bench seat.

If you want I can take a picture of what I used to bring the shifter up to the right height for a bench seat.

Was it bronze painted tube?
I remember coming across a picture of someone's setup like that

It was pretty impressive out of the box thinking but I prefer the look of it mounted to the trannyhump

No it is a piece of aluminum I beam that worked out to be the perfect size and height for what I needed

-
Back