Re-building air ratchets

-
I said I would up-date and so here goes, the part that I mentioned in previous post was as mentioned ordered, I ordered 4 of them cause as mentioned it was the same part that I felt I needed for my air hammer.

Received the parts and installed the O-ring in the air hammer, worked like a charm, after all these years of sitting in my box un-used and seeing it now ready to use is pretty satisfying.

Also attempted to install same part in my FAR720 ratchet, O-ring would not fit down into the chamber properly, I attempted alot of different avenues but it simply would not go to the bottom of the sleeve where it needed to be, I in the end forced it as best as I could, re-assembled and the ratchet ran full blast continuous.

I re-contacted snap-on, they said there was a possibility that these rings were incorrect, I said I doubted it cause they carried the same part # as what was needed for hammer and they fixed that issue. They sent me 4 new ones anyway.

Attempted to install one this A.M, no way, it was just too large in diam. Difficult to see but got a light down the chamber and noticed a ridge, very slight but there, after feeling down inside with delicate instruments and taking some careful measurements with my inside Mics I was able to determine that the machining process inside of the tool was never completed.

I mounted a small DA within my vice and turned down the O-ring just enough to get over that ridge and drop down where it needed to be, Reassembled.

Tool once again works like new.

Once again I say Snap-on air tools are no better that any of my Ingersoll Rands.

I contacted Snap-on to let them know what I had found, they are very polite and seemingly anxious to do what is right, they suggested they would like to do something to compensate me for all my troubles, I suggested they warranty the 40 dollar trim piece on my tool box that had the clear anodized coating coming off as a gesture of good faith, they told me sorry but trim is not covered and Id have to just by the new part.

11,500 tool box and they wont warranty the trim.

At least my one air ratchet is fixed and I am happy to have it back again.

Thanks for the suggestions.

Instead of dealing with Snap On direct I would suggest getting a hold of a dealer and working one on one with them. Tool man Mike will tell you the same thing, customer service is the number one thing when selling tools. You could be selling no name tools and still give great service and your customer will be happy..

as for you air hammer, are you oiling it like you would your air tools? If you said yes then stop doing it . Air hammers do not require oil. Run some WD 40 through it, blow it out then it will be good to go. ( Straight from the mouths of the repair guys at Snap On Repair.)

As for your air ratchets that are sluggish from lack of use, do the same thing with WD-40, then oil lots, blow it out until it is clear, then a few drops of oil should be good to go.

Also, flat rate repair is the way to go your tool is REBUILT! everything, like a new tool.
Remember the knee bone is connected to the leg bone, if you just replace one part the others are worn too.

New bearings in your small block do not constitute a rebuild!

I have had the FAR720 since it came out back 10 years ago. It has been rebuilt 3 times I think. I broke the 3/8 square drive right off repeatedly until they changed the design. Snap on has had a few duds in their air tool line. The impact guns are not as powerful as the Ingersol Rand ones. But I really like the rachets and the PH3050 has the barrel mounted in a poly isolator so that it hammers the work but not your hand.

You want something to put the Ingersoll Rand to SHAME? Get an Arctic Cat. I never wouldda believed it till I saw one.

-
Back