Re-cover my dash pad

-

mmiruzzi

'68 Cuda Mule Car Replica
Reaction score
1968 Barracuda.
Anybody re-cover the frame from there original dash pad?
Any suggestions for a source??
Did it look original?

Are you asking about re-covering the dash pad with a cap or recovering the dash frame without the pad? I have recovered my dash pad and it came out decent. You can get them from several different companies but I am pretty sure they are all from the same manufactur Accu-Form. Just look for the best deal and search for online codes if you use JC Whitney or others. I have heard of guys using just the cap and squirting expansion foam underneath it. I found that my dash pad needed lots of sanding and trimming to get a good fit. The best way to do it would be to take the dash pad off the dash and put the cap on with it out of the vehicle, that way you have more room to clamp it. The grain will not be the same as original but it will fool most. New pads cost about $200 more than a cap, Id rather spend the savings on cubic inches.

Beware reproduction dash pads. The grain is wrong, the fit is poor and nobody knows yet how long they will last.
The hard cap ( over lay ). is penny wise. If I paid Just Dashes a few hundred to restore my dash pad I would want the over lay to protect my investment anyway.
Palco has been around a very long time. I was installing their dash caps back in 1989.

i did mine and then centre consol to match, now doing door cards in same.

Attachments

• 10.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 367
  • 18.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 357
vinyl pretty cheep. hot glu gun,sharp utility knife,some clamps,patience. tip. dont glue any areas on show, glue the rear of your workpiece,pull/stretch vinyl behind, trim excess when glu sets.

Attachments

• 12.jpg
    102.4 KB · Views: 325
You can get new 69-76 dashpads from www.beaparts.com for like $200 And 68 Dashpads for $225. Those are new cores, foam, and original type skin. The grain is real close, much closer than the overlay stuff. So thats $150-125 more than the overlay.

The Dashtop stuff is a harder plastic. I've seen those warp on car out in the sun.

I can't see how the Dashtop/skins could be considered better quality than the BEAparts new dash. In the past there have been some inferior complete dash pads that were no good. Like the solid rubber one that you can see bubbles in the grain.

Here is one of the first BEAparts.com 68 A-body dashes. Original 40 year old lower pads and original pad held on top for comparison...

Attachments

• TroyDartDashMd1.jpg
    29.5 KB · Views: 294
  • TroyDartDashSm2.JPG
    108.2 KB · Views: 292
  • TroyDartDashSm3.JPG
    96.2 KB · Views: 311
  • TroyDartDashSm4.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 321
  • TroyDartDashSm5.JPG
    105.5 KB · Views: 283
material $20 hot glu gun and sticks $10,best part about it? did myself! we get hammered on tax and shipping this material quite thick and reakon looks ok, not into the original look,just tidy it up.

material $20 hot glu gun and sticks $10,best part about it? did myself! we get hammered on tax and shipping this material quite thick and reakon looks ok, not into the original look,just tidy it up.

CUDABOY....if all you used was "hot glue" be prepared to RE-DO it likely in one season, esp if the summer heat gets over 90f ....hot glue is not made to withstand auto applications and all your nice hard work will need to get re-done.

Automotive adhesives are specially formulated to withstand HEAT COLD MOISTURE AND DRY conditions to the extremes.....hot glue is not....hopefully it will work out for you but it is unlikely the hot glue will last very long

sorry to POP the bubble

CUDABOY....if all you used was "hot glue" be prepared to RE-DO it likely in one season, esp if the summer heat gets over 90f ....hot glue is not made to withstand auto applications and all your nice hard work will need to get re-done.

Automotive adhesives are specially formulated to withstand HEAT COLD MOISTURE AND DRY conditions to the extremes.....hot glue is not....hopefully it will work out for you but it is unlikely the hot glue will last very long

sorry to POP the bubble
its cool, if the temp here or around my dash ever got the same as the tip on my hot glue gun then my car would probobally be on fire and i would either be calling myself crispen frazzle :angel9:and it wouldnt matter or if not in the car at the moment of inferno concerned with how to put out the blaze! ps if feckin freezin and always raining here in wales lol

-
Back