re: radiators

-

doc540

Reaction score
Before I haul the '61 Lancer to a local radiator shop, does anyone have a specific recommendation or part number to rebuild or replace the factory 2 core radiator with a 3 core or something more substantial?

My plan is to use an electric fan to draw air through it, too.

Thanks

(or just direct me to an existing thread, I'm a doofus when it comes to operating the search engine.) :eek:

I just told my Rad guy, I wanted the best he could put in the existing header and tank, KEEP copper. Radietes better then aluminum. MT

You might want to keep the fan on the engine and augment it with an electric pusher fan on front. Most RWD vehicles still do that today, since more efficient. My M-B diesels have that, but the fan is only for the AC condenser.

Keep the stock 2 core...just have it re-cored in a "high flow efficiency" core...I did this with my 66 radiator and cools my 340 just fine with a stock 4 blade fan, also have a flowkooler water pump. I also have the same high flow 2 core in my 74 Satellite 340 and works fine in that car with electric fans.

you will find that original radiator is unique. an early A body ( 63-6) slant rad will not work. my tanks were good on my 62 Lancer so I was able to have it recored. $265 here in Missouri ( also known to some as the "land of misery!") LOL

i'm sure some guys can get creative, and make something else work.

Thanks for the info.

Looks like I'll try recoring the stock radiator first.

But I can't find a Flowkool pump option for the '61, 225 on their page.

-
Back