re-ringing a 360

-

ike61

Reaction score
i'm going to re-ring a 360 and had the pistons sitting on a piece of plywood. anyway, four of the pistons fell of the plywood so I don't know what hole they go in the block. how important is it to have them put in the original hole?

You didnt # the rods?

It actually is kinda important, and that is definetly a mistake. Ideally you are supposed to # the rods to the cylinders they come out of.

Is the motor,std bore? If not,look for stamped numbers ,on the connecting rods.A engine rebuilder usually stamps the bore number,where the rod caps meet the rods.Pictures,would help immensely.

You didnt # the rods?

It actually is kinda important, and that is definetly a mistake. Ideally you are supposed to # the rods to the cylinders they come out of.
no i didn't I had them in order on the plywood, but I guess I should have marked them some how. the motor is standard bore. each rod is marked with a symbol, but not a number

Not hard to fix.Rent/borrow/begbuy from Harbor Freight a dial bore gauge,and a cheapie slide rule.Mike,measure and log it on paper.Looking for .0015 to .003 bore to piston clearance.

Actually it DOESN'T matter. What IS important is that you get the correct rod caps on the correct rods.

I would stick each piston in one hole, and measure clearance the same way on each to see if you can determine if any are worn substantially more/ less than the others.

If not, does not matter which hole

If so, mike the bores and try to match the larger pistons with the larger bores.

Again, MAIN thing is that the rod caps are on the correct rods.

Actually it DOESN'T matter. What IS important is that you get the correct rod caps on the correct rods.

I would stick each piston in one hole, and measure clearance the same way on each to see if you can determine if any are worn substantially more/ less than the others.

If not, does not matter which hole

If so, mike the bores and try to match the larger pistons with the larger bores.

Again, MAIN thing is that the rod caps are on the correct rods.

X2
as long as they are the same weight, really don't matter where they go unless they have asymmetric valve pockets

Make sure the chamfer side of the big end faces the crank side radius and not toward the other rod.......I think i said that right....lol.

i have all the rods caps matched to the right rods so I'm good there. thanks all for the input

-
Back