Re using cast iron rings?

-
Ok, so the final decision is im going to pretend I never saw that video and go with my plan A.

My plan A is to replace: rings, main bearings, rod bearings, cam bearings, timing chain, oil pump and gaskets. All of which i have on hand

I know for a fact the engine is in spec in regard to taper and cylinder measurements, I have a bore gauge and micrometers. I even have my own cam bearing tool and I've used it plenty.

I was never trying to "get cheap" with this engine, I was simply thumbing through YouTube to make sure I didn't miss anything on the prep and ran across that video. Then I started doubting myself because that particular youtuber has been building engines since long before I was born so I thought maybe he's on to something I didn't know about.

Based on the replies, I'm going to trust myself and do this engine the way I was taught in auto school.

There is no tension on paper plates. Kim

Pffft. You should have seen my ex at a summer picnic.

upload_2022-7-6_16-4-23.jpeg

Use 'em if you got 'em I always say. Now if you don't have 'em (on a Sunday night...) that changes things up. Good luck.

Ok, so the final decision is im going to pretend I never saw that video and go with my plan A.

My plan A is to replace: rings, main bearings, rod bearings, cam bearings, timing chain, oil pump and gaskets. All of which i have on hand

I know for a fact the engine is in spec in regard to taper and cylinder measurements, I have a bore gauge and micrometers. I even have my own cam bearing tool and I've used it plenty.

I was never trying to "get cheap" with this engine, I was simply thumbing through YouTube to make sure I didn't miss anything on the prep and ran across that video. Then I started doubting myself because that particular youtuber has been building engines since long before I was born so I thought maybe he's on to something I didn't know about.

Based on the replies, I'm going to trust myself and do this engine the way I was taught in auto school.
The youtuber you speak of, makes a living off of making videos....not doing any actual quality work that he needs to stand behind. You would probably be wise to never watch any more of his "tech" videos, as clearly you are more interested in doing the job correctly.

It's a bird, it's a plane, No it's Uncle Tony!
Its bird ****, its mid air plane collision wreckage, its.... uncle phoney!

Dr. Diarrhea himself showing people how to build **** motors that eat themselves and oil smoke more than the tires ever do..

He dumps his pipes just before the back tires so the oil vapor lets them spin..lmao

Its bird ****, its mid air plane collision wreckage, its.... uncle phoney!

Dr. Diarrhea himself showing people how to build **** motors that eat themselves and oil smoke more than the tires ever do..

He dumps his pipes just before the back tires so the oil vapor lets them spin..lmao
Its actually pretty difficult to understand how ANYONE above the age of 10 could believe any of his ridiculous advice, unless your TRYING to screw stuff up.

Its actually pretty difficult to understand how ANYONE above the age of 10 could believe any of his ridiculous advice, unless your TRYING to screw stuff up.
Well, I'm over 10 and I believed a lot of what he said because they don't teach anything about older cars in auto school, it's all about the new stuff which is really different than the older stuff.

I took his word for a lot of it because he was around when these old cars were newer and the normal thing. I was born in 1986 and by the time I was into cars, these old cars were already ... old

Based on the replies, I'm going to share where I got this idea. I might have got the wrong impression or maybe that is what he meant.

I was personally taught in auto school to replace rings, nobody never even suggested such a thing except this video. my engine hardly has any ridge and ran before taken apart but is an original 74 engine that was taken apart for other issues and is intended to be overhauled stock.

18:00, 19:00

:lol:

Well, I'm over 10 and I believed a lot of what he said because they don't teach anything about older cars in auto school, it's all about the new stuff which is really different than the older stuff.

I took his word for a lot of it because he was around when these old cars were newer and the normal thing. I was born in 1986 and by the time I was into cars, these old cars were already ... old
Old or new, 1957 or 1988, there is a right way, and a cheapskate way...one is doing the job correctly, the other is justifying doing garbage work for YouTube "veiws" your smart enough to figure it out

You're 2 years younger than my wife.
Anyways, look... millennials are around while today's cars are built and they still dont know ****...nor would you expect them to. I know of many old bearded santa claus type hotrodders that couldn't tuna fish.
Looks are deceiving. Never judge a book by its cover unless its holding a weapon toward you. People who watch Tony are the same people that would associate a leather jacket with being tough...and really.. i think the fonz need to give the old juke box bang in their head.

Last edited:
We all know that Rani wasn't going to reuse any piston rings, she just wanted opinions about what she saw. From what I've seen of her posts she does things the right way.

What's it gonna take for people to wake up...him trying to turn a timing chain inside out or something??:eek: Like his does his underwear after too many pants shittings
....:rolleyes:

We all know that Rani wasn't going to reuse any piston rings, she just wanted opinions about what she saw. From what I've seen of her posts she does things the right way.
I completely understand , but how many threads have there been stating that Uncle Tony's a clown and everything he shows people's crap or borrowed?

What hurts Tony the most... is clicking on..and then off before 30 seconds.
Voicing your comment on stupid his ideas are.... lol and that you can smell him through the monitor.

I completely understand , but how many threads have there been stating that Uncle Tony's a clown and everything he shows people's crap or borrowed?
I was talkin about me and my santa clause beard, dummy. lol

I just like to thank rani for this thread...its given me plenty of laughs and been a sparkle in my day...lmao

-
Back