Re-using Felpro 1008 head gaskets?

-
Thanks Moper, but as broke as I am right now, I decided it's not worth risking this engine for the price of one more gasket.

If you need some help, hit me up. I'll send you some dough. As good as this forum's been to us, I can return the favor.

If you need some help, hit me up. I'll send you some dough. As good as this forum's been to us, I can return the favor.

Wow RRR! That's a cool gesture to make. Thanks a lot!

I'm ok, I just mean I'm car money broke. Got a pretty good job, food in the fridge, awesome girlfriend...
I don't know what else to say,
except thanks...

Wow RRR! That's a cool gesture to make. Thanks a lot!

I'm ok, I just mean I'm car money broke. Got a pretty good job, food in the fridge, awesome girlfriend...
I don't know what else to say,
except thanks...

Well if you change your mind, here I bees.

If it wasnt run I would re-use it for a mild compression engine and have done so. Not worth taking the chance if it was run.

Since year 1977? Com'on guys get it right; it was year 2000,lol..
1977 was the year I got married,lol
My engine first went together in 99 with 0.028 gaskets and 11.3Scr to run the 292/292/108 cam. I didn't like that cam so I took it out in fall of 2000.I was broke and knew I couldn't afford another engine of this caliber,probably ever again;but time and energy I had. And gaskets I figured were way cheaper than a new engine. So I scheduled teardowns annually.
So I pulled that engine out and tore it down for inspection, and I caught the .028s trying to get into the valley, good call on the inspection. So in went the .039 FelPros and a much smaller cam.
Engine was apart like that, 4 more times; and two more years I found potentially catastrophic failures developing. The next winter it was migrating wrist pin bushings. And the next year it was something else, I forget justwhat. But the following winter it was all good and so one more inspection in 2004, and that was that.
Along the way I made some other minor changes.
So
The first set of 1008s went in,new, in fall of 2000.I think I reused those in fall of 2001.Then in 2002 I put new ones in again. And those were reused in 03,and 04.
I put at least 80,000 miles on those, from start to finish.
The thing is up here they are about $100 a pair.And I didna see any damage to them at teardown, the first time. And I was willing to redo the gaskets if they began to leak. I mean it's just a couple of hours work. And at second teardown they looked exactly the same. And again at third time. So in 5 installs I saved 300smackers, just enough to buy a third cam, after the second one dropped lobes.
So the math says 3 usages including 2 reuses.
Com'on guys, don't overdrive it......
1977 was also the year I bought us two brand new Suzukis; a 400 twin for my new bride, and a 750-4 for the new husband. A year later with like a hundred miles on the 400, it was plain to see she was not into motorcycles. So in 78, the year I bought my project car, I traded those two off, together with my 75 WaterBuffalo , even-up for a new 78 GS 1000 super go-fast rocket street-bike, no exaggeration. The project-car went up on blocks for nearly 20 years while we raised our family.
those 1008s are the bomb.

Last edited:
-
Back