Re-Using oil pump?

-

DartVadar

Reaction score
I know what most are thinking from the title, but I am not talking about using the pump from a 100k mile motor. I am wondering about using the pump I had on my motor before. It has about 3000 miles on it so really has very little use, and worked perfectly when I had it running.

The motor came apart because I had a lame hole, and that just turned into a full rebuild essentially, no metal or anything went though the motor.

Is there a way that I can check the pump? And should I try and clean it? It's been sitting in a clean place ever since I took it out of the motor in the first place.

Why not? Open it for inspection, if there is nothing wrong with it as in scoured, or gouged, use it. Clean it good, Blue, or Red Locttite, your choice on the screws.

Good luck!

I took the cover off of it and I think it looks pretty good, no gouging, but some circular marks on things, don't know if thats normal or not.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 410
I took the inside apart and saw this, it's smooth, but I can definitely feel something with my finger.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 397
a new "Heart" is 80 bucks.. To me that's a pretty cheap insurance policy.

A standard volume melling oil pump is 32 dollars, a high volume 79
if you do want to replace it why bother rebuilding it?

Don't forget the relief. That's another wear spot.

Any on else had one hang open on em'?

I have reused so many oil pumps through the years, it ain't funny. Oil pumps very, very rarely go bad. It's almost always something else that causes their failure. After all, they sit pretty much submerged in oil.

There is a spec sheet in the Mopar engine Bible just for oil pumps. As long as it passes all the specs put it right back in. I have used the same pump for over 15 years and three engine rebuilds. This is a small block 700+ Hp engine that I spin to 7,500 rpm. Each rebuild/freshen up I have taken the oil pump apart and inspected it and it passes with flying colors. I just freshened up my engine in August of last year and I bought a new high volume melling oil pump thinking that I might need it. When I took apart the new one it was way out of spec compared to the old used one. Took it back and got my money back. The point I am saying is just inspect, measure, and only replace if needed. Put that 80 bucks to something better.

Opinions vary on this, but it is a valid question from the OP. After all, $80 here, $90 there, all those things can really add up, taking funds away from other things. From what I've read in this thread, I wouldn't be afraid to re-use the pump. There's $80 bucks back into your budget, DartVader! How you gonna spend it?

Plus, when you're working on something for example that a new pump cannot be found for like my 331 Hemi, you have to rebuild what you have. To me, that's what this hobby is all about right to the very CORE. Making old things like new again.

50-75 years ago, all these parts were not readily available like they are today. Mechanics rebuilt, overhauled and refurbished much more than what a lot of them do today.

Also, another consideration. Who knows where a lot of this new stuff is made today? I for one would much rather have a RustyRatRod rebuilt boni fide American oil pump core in my engine, than something I have no clue as to the origin of.

Metals back then were higher quality, machining tolerances were better. Things were not built on a maximum output, in and out like cattle get the most profit that you can type of operation. Nowadays, it's all about the money to companies, quality be damned in a lot of instances. How do you know when those instances are or are not? You don't.

I have faith and confidence in something that I rebuild with my own two hands. It's a very accomplishing feeling to take something that was once in-operational and make it work again. Any idiot can spend money on a new part. No offense. A real car guy, a real mechanic will make something good again because he wants to do it. He wants to learn. He wants to evolve. Not just save money. To accomplish something extra.

Oil pumps are blindingly simple to rebuild. It might even be that small little accomplishment that brings you out of a period of low motivation and gets you back going on your project. Plus it saves money. lol

Clean it well, including removing the relief valve and cleanng the valve and bore, then put it back together. If it was good before, it will be good again. I'm with RRR. As long as it was replaced and only has a few K, no problem with cleaning it and running it again.

Why not install the pickup tube and submerge it in oil, then drive the pump with a drill and see if it pumps. (Look out for the pumped oil....)

You know, like a bench test before installing a part....

I took the cover off of it and I think it looks pretty good, no gouging, but some circular marks on things, don't know if thats normal or not.

I believe that gerotor set is pressed from powdered metal.
I think what you are seeing, if you are referring to the pictured face of the gerotor set, are tool transfer marks from the punch face that forms the part. Punch face was probably ground on rather than EDM.
I'd be more worried of any break down near the center of the tooth flank on the inner and outer. That's typically the low density area of a powdered metal part.

That's looks fine. I'd reuse it! I donated my old pump from my 340 that was sitting for 20 years to go in to a 360 motor that lost its pump/ oil pan (due to off roading it onto a rock, lol) and the kid didn't have the money for a new pump and pan. So I gave him my old pump and a used 360 pan I had. Its still going and probably out in this snow storm plowing with it. These pumps barely ever wear out with proper maintenance. You said 3K on the clock, It looks mint on the inside, I wouldn't hesitate to reuse.

I've taken oil pumps out of engines that have set around in the shop for ten years or more that had probably 100k on them to start with took them apart cleaned everything poured it full of Lucas and they are still running todat. If it ain't broke don't fix it

Also, another consideration. Who knows where a lot of this new stuff is made today? I for one would much rather have a RustyRatRod rebuilt boni fide American oil pump core in my engine, than something I have no clue as to the origin of.

That. There is so much garbage out there that I am at the point now where I trust a 30-year-old used OE part more than a new replacement!

Well I cleaned up the pump really well, lubed it up and stuck it back together. Ill maybe give test it before I put it on, but It worked perfectly before. I will probably just install it and prime the oiling system to make sure everything gets oil and that the pump is working good. I dont expect any problems though.

And one more question. My pump had a little gasket that came with it (the one that goes from the pump to the main). When I originally installed it I used that gasket. My gasket kit didnt have a new one and the old one looks just fine. Can I re-use it?

Yes. Some people don't use a gasket there. I like to. I make one if my gasket kit doesn't come with it.

I reused the existing pump with my 340 build and used a gasket. Honestly the gasket scares me more than the used pump.

-
Back