Reaching plugs with Hedman headers

-
Peanut plugs are the way to go. I run NKG BKR6E in my 10-1 340 and in my 02 Ram with the magnum. The number “6” is the heat range, can go up or down a number. You can also take your current plugs into the auto parts store and have them cross reference to the small socket plug.

82D2EC12-32E4-4C87-9DA5-9430BFA55C02.png

Be careful with 5/8 plugs. Make sure you get the correct "reach" (the threaded part) and make sure that if you have gasketed (LA) heads that the 5/8 you buy are not for "tapered seat" (no gasket)

So I feel stupid guys but I pulled out the rubber from the socket and it slipped right onto the plugs. Now all I need to do is get a 7/8 wrench I can cut down and I can come at the socket from under the pipe!
No need for feelin stupid. You did the right thing and asked.

well next time I’m gonna buy 5/8 plugs. Any recommendations?
The cheapest ones you can find at your local parts store is probably the ones I would get... Just make sure they're 5/8 socket... With our modern cars we like to get plugs that last 100,000 miles but on these old cars we change them every 5 or 10 anyways..

RC12YC will get you the small hex and same heat range as the typical RN12YC. Then you can use a smaller socket. HOWEVER, I used the large plugs and socket for years. Cut a wrench short enough to work that fits the plug socket. I ran those type of headers for years and years. 90* boot plug wire that will go under the header

Be careful with 5/8 plugs. Make sure you get the correct "reach" (the threaded part) and make sure that if you have gasketed (LA) heads that the 5/8 you buy are not for "tapered seat" (no gasket)

thanks for the heads up. Never heard that before!

So I feel stupid guys but I pulled out the rubber from the socket and it slipped right onto the plugs. Now all I need to do is get a 7/8 wrench I can cut down and I can come at the socket from under the pipe!
I have Hooker headers on my 340 Duster and all I did was cut down the 13/16 spark plug socket and welded the hex heaad back on and then using a rachette style box end wrench I was able to remove the two plugs..

-
Back