Real GTS or not.

-

moparbros

Reaction score
Hi guys. I need some help finding out whether my 68 dart GTS is a clone or genuine. I purchased the car knowing that it has no fender tag or door tag. The vin confirms it is a true 340 car which would make it a GTS right? Is there any other body stampings that would match the vin somewhere on the body that would confirm that the dash just wasn't replaced to make it look as if its a real GTS? I hope i'm not confusing anyone here. Any help would be great. Thanks.

As long as the vin starts with LS23P or H it is a GTS, there is no door tag though.

It does start with that but my concern is someone just swapped out the dash and its a clone. None of the interior has GTS badging either.

The only way to see since the body #s are different the the Vin is see if it has the factory dual exhaust hangers, washer welded to the front center of K member, other than the obvious front sway bar, and 8 3/4 diff.

The diff is 8 3/4 but that can always be added. the orig exhaust is long gone from what I see. It has an after market hotchkis sway bar. What is the welded washer you mentioned though?

You can also check the vin that is stamped on the radiator core support or on the rear drivers side by the trunk seal.

On 68 Mopars the body stampings were the order # of the vehicle. Not the Vin #. Mopar started using the Vin# as body stampings in 69.Still possible for someone to change out a dash and hoodwink someone on a 68 car.

The only way to see since the body #s are different the the Vin is see if it has the factory dual exhaust hangers, washer welded to the front center of K member, other than the obvious front sway bar, and 8 3/4 diff.

I don't think all or if any 68 or 69 340's had washers on K-member. IIRC, that more of a 70-up deal.

If the original poster had the original 340 block it could have the vin numbers on the back of the block near the bellhousing rail on drivers side. All that would do is match the motor to the VIN. The body still could be swapped.

On a 68 and older the only thing that connects the body to the vin is the BUILDSHEET. The fendertag will connect to the body by the SO number on the fendertag. Now with 67 and older cars you can get the computer punch card from Chrysler Historical. Not 100% guarantee they will have it for your particular car. It has all the options info.

When buying a 68 mopar just be aware of the doc and missing docs. And price accordingly or move on to another car.

If you have fendertag that matches the body and a VIN that has the same engine code as the fendertag. Most people will take that as numbers matching body to VIN. If you have the original motor on top of that, it will make an even stronger case and docs.

before the internet - in the 80's and 90's there were several of us doing Dart Registries. Bob Talley in Chicago and Alan Miller in Colorado and a few others. We exchanged info and I have a lot of these numbers. My passion was the 70 Dart Swinger 340's along with the 71-2 Canadian Dart Swinger 340 Specials. I will be happy to check my records for you. please send info to [email protected]
Joel

Vin# on the Rad support punched into the metal off center closer to the driver side of car generally. The same number punched on the weather seal lip of the trunk drip rail under the weather strip and can be hard to see. It can be easier to see/read from inside the trunk looking up at the lip. As well, Check the leaf springs one extra on the pass side and you may even find a P# on them, yes they could have also been swapped out but just another place to confirm. Check torsion bar #'s 340 bars have a unique number over 6-273,318 ETC. These are just a few hints....the more hints the clues add up :) Good luck searching!

Vin# on the Rad support punched into the metal off center closer to the driver side of car generally. The same number punched on the weather seal lip of the trunk drip rail under the weather strip and can be hard to see. It can be easier to see/read from inside the trunk looking up at the lip. As well, Check the leaf springs one extra on the pass side and you may even find a P# on them, yes they could have also been swapped out but just another place to confirm. Check torsion bar #'s 340 bars have a unique number over 6-273,318 ETC. These are just a few hints....the more hints the clues add up :) Good luck searching!

VIN# not stamped on 68 Mopar bodies. Only SO # stamped in 68. Started stamping bodies with Vin # in 69 and up. See post #7

Ok a lot of information to take in. I'm writing it down and doing the research. I just don't want to leave the GTS badging on the exterior if its not the real deal. But like I said no interior badging to be found. Does the Kelsey hayes brakes make any sense that they would be on a GTS or did they come on other models as well? Also got crazy left hand lug nuts. Whats up with that?

Yes, left hand lugs on drivers side on Mopars untill 1973. Are the calipers 4 piston or not ??Perhaps someone changed the interior. Did you say you had the Build Sheet or any Part of it?

Ok a lot of information to take in. I'm writing it down and doing the research. I just don't want to leave the GTS badging on the exterior if its not the real deal. But like I said no interior badging to be found. Does the Kelsey hayes brakes make any sense that they would be on a GTS or did they come on other models as well? Also got crazy left hand lug nuts. Whats up with that?

Is the car registered with the vin on the dash? How many registrations back in history do you have?

the only badging on the interior is the door panels. They could have been switched or messed up years ago. The GTS door panel emblems are hard to find and sell for good money. Someone could have sold those off the cars years ago. What door panels does it have now?

So it has the 4 sets of GTS emblems on the outside? Is the car painted?

You could get disk brakes on any regular model 68 Dart. And they could have been switched years ago too.

All mopars up to and including 1970 model year have left hand lug nuts. 1971 model year and up do not.

Yes it has the 4 piston Kelsey hayes calipers. Car has been painted numerous times. Not an original panel on the car as we found out because we are down to metal now in the restoration process.

I'd look for those dual exhaust hangers.

That'd be a good sign.

Pass side would be welded (single), my 66 Coronet 383-4 car has a bolted driver's side exhaust mount on the underside of the rear seat, but it is the same part as the welded one on the pass side. Having factory dual exhaust sure helps the case.

It's something you can do yourself, if you're waiting on paperwork based on SO numbers.

I learned something today. So My 69 GTS might not have the vin stamped in the body because it was built 09/17/1968 ?

No, Your car, since it was built 9/68 should be a 69 car as it is. You should find the Vin# on the body panels.

-
Back