really high oil pressure

-

carkindaguy

Reaction score
i was out adjusting my carb and i reved up the motor a few times to clear out the carb for float adjustment and then the oil pan gasket started to leak and smoke oil off the headers. so i quickly shut it down thinking i blew a gasket. i started it back up and at idle no leak. i reved it a little more and the oil pressure quickly climbed to 80psi and looked like it was going to keep on going. i have a pvc valve and a valve cover filter vent. is this normal. i dont want to blow gaskets. :sign3:

Cold startup is between 75 and 80 psi at idle, and higher if revved a little.
This does not mean the entire engine case is pressurized, just the oiling system.
You probably have a pan gasket that is either too loose or smashed by being overtighted.

i was out adjusting my carb and i reved up the motor a few times to clear out the carb for float adjustment and then the oil pan gasket started to leak and smoke oil off the headers. so i quickly shut it down thinking i blew a gasket. i started it back up and at idle no leak. i reved it a little more and the oil pressure quickly climbed to 80psi and looked like it was going to keep on going. i have a pvc valve and a valve cover filter vent. is this normal. i dont want to blow gaskets. :sign3:

how old is your motor ...what is your normal pressure, a driping pan is not from high oil pressure

new motor. and it only leaked when i reved it up when the oil pressure was high. i think it was just to high from the cold start plus some revs.

my 340 ran over 90psi cold when it was new and still its over 80 cold .depending on ring and piston set up you may have some crank case pressure you will save gaskets and avoid other problems with more crankcase venting

WAY too much oil pressure. there is a bypass spring in the pump that is supposed to bypass at a certain PSI so it doesnt blow a filter up or twist a oil pump shaft. I bet it is jammed or has a solid rod in there. Any more than 10psi per 1000 RPM is wasted parasitic oil pump drag. Your oil pressure is not "floating" any bearing, its just the act of oil being in there that lets the components ride on a thin film of non compressible oil. And a leaking pan gasket will not be assisted by high oil pressure, pan oil is under no pressure, but your oil sender on the top of the block is and it can be leaking there, and also from your oil pump filter or backing plate, those are pressurized too, and down where you are speaking of.

Did you by chance just change the oil using a straight 40 w or something like it?

It's a fossile fuel burning reciprocating engine not a rocket.:D

WAY too much oil pressure. there is a bypass spring in the pump that is supposed to bypass at a certain PSI so it doesnt blow a filter up or twist a oil pump shaft. I bet it is jammed or has a solid rod in there. Any more than 10psi per 1000 RPM is wasted parasitic oil pump drag. Your oil pressure is not "floating" any bearing, its just the act of oil being in there that lets the components ride on a thin film of non compressible oil. And a leaking pan gasket will not be assisted by high oil pressure, pan oil is under no pressure, but your oil sender on the top of the block is and it can be leaking there, and also from your oil pump filter or backing plate, those are pressurized too, and down where you are speaking of.

It's probably too much crankcase pressure. I've had the front pan seal leak at over 7000 when I wasn't getting enough crankcase venting. I had to change the aspirators in the Moroso pan evac system as they weren't opening easy enough.

x2

I had a stuck oil pressure regulator on my slant six. I blew up 2 oil filter gasket (and lost all my oil on the road) before I realized what was the cause.

I would try another oil pump

Could also be as simple as a bad gasket and the crankshaft throwing oil on it when he revs it up.

If the oil pump is the problem it can and will bust an oil filter almost imediately upon start up. If its crank case pressure i.e. lack of ventalation or compression loss, it will push a dipstick out, push valve cover gaskets out , etc.. but it takes a bit longer for that pressure to build.

My engine runs 80 PSI cold and 60 or so warm. My dipstick was blowing out and causing an oily mess at high revs. New pvc valve and V/C breather fixed my problem. Wasn't breathing good.

-
Back