rear axle

-

leblanc

member 2883
Reaction score
I need to replace one of my axel seals and there is only about 2 or 3 seasons on it. If it is like most other parts there must a good, better, best to these things and I need to know which is best. THANKS in advance to any good advice, although FABO never gives bad advice. It is an 8 1/4 axle with C clips.
Jean-Guy

What, parts quality? Good luck with that. What is it that you are replacing?

Is this a "C clip" axle, or something like an 8 3/4 with the original tapered bearings. Those have and INNER and an OUTER

Don't necessarily blame the seal. Bad bearings, worn seal surface, poor installation methods, or even careless, rough handling of the axle going in can damage the seal(s) and give you leaks.

I need to replace one of my axle seals and there is only about 2 or 3 seasons on it. If it is like most other parts there must a good, better, best to these things and I need to know which is best. THANKS in advance to any good advice. It is an 8 1/4 axle with C clips.
Jean-Guy

The 8 1/4 axle is one of the cheapest axle to brake,or did it wear out? This axle was not made for strength but regular driving in my opinion.Step up to a 8 3/4 diff and no more problems,mrmopartech

The strongest 8.25 was the '97 and up axle. Chrysler increased the spline count from 27 to 29 with a larger axle shaft. You could swap in a Dakota differential and upgrade the axles.

If it was me i would take a good look at the shaft were the seal is if there is any groves it will sure leak as time goes on,good luck Bro.

I just go to NAPA and tend to get better parts on average IMO; sometimes they have the Premium grade of a given part and I use that.

As above, the seal's axle surface needs to be smooth.

Could be any number of things that caused it to leak; sometimes leaving the emergency brake on and gettings things excessviely hot can damage a rear seal. I would just inspect everyhing in that end of the axle and put in a new one if all looks OK.

Make sure the diff vent is not pluged , it will build pressure and push oil past the seals.

-
Back