Rear axle

-

gtxdude

Reaction score
Could you switch out the SBP axles on a rear end and slide in LBP axles? I see small bolt pattern 8.75 axles for sale but want to go with large bolt pattern?

lots of threads here on that, short answer is no. All of the proper length OEM axles will be small bolt. You would have to have some made, then have your drums drilled to the proper bolt pattern. I do not believe backing plates and drums from a LBP 8 3/4 would fit but, I am not sure exactly what the fitment issues are.

There are no such thing as BBP 8.75 axles for an A body...they were all SBP. The closest you can get are '65 B Body axles, and they can be trimmed 1/2 inch each to fit.

if you want to change over you have to swap out every thing past the axle housing, backing plate drums brake parts. B Body stuff works ;I think 8.25 stuff fits also.New Axels are readily available.I bought axles from mancini racing.

The lbp axles have larger drum registers and are made for 10 X 2 shoes. Only some of the sbp hardware will transfer over. Well, the wheel cylinders and parking cables should be ok.
-Some fellows here have successfully installed complete early B-body rears into As without any mods. I think it was 67 up, to around 71ish. Anybody remember?

The LBP. Backing plates have a deeper offset to accommodate wider brake shoes so you need drums to match. Now you have better brakes.

I have the Strange ones in my one of my a-body 8.75s. They're not that expensive. Well, I guess that depends on what you consider to be expensive.

Dr Diff has a axle kit for not alot of money, I think mine was $330 shipped. I used BBP 7.25 backing plates, brakes and drums, bolts right on, no modifications. 7.25 parts are cheap.

WOW, great feedback. Have 7.25, I keep looking for 8.75 LBP that fits (65 Dart). All I really need is 8.25 for this car even there getting hard to find. thanks everyone for feedback

65-67 B Body rears are just about a direct bolt in. In fact, they fit the Duster body cars better than the original A body rears.

-
Back