Rear band questions

-

Creedmoor

Recovering Fordaholic
Reaction score
Hi guys,
I'm finalizing my parts list for my 904 rebuild and have questions on rear bands. My tranny is a '71 so there are some quirks. First what's the benefit (or not), of using a double wrap 2" wide rear band vs a single rigid band? Secondly, any downside to using relined rear bands. New rigid Raybestos is $37. The price diff for a double wrap is significant, $20 for a relined (by Alabama Bands) - $63 (new Raybestos).

Lemme know your thoughts.

Thanks.

Hi guys,
I'm finalizing my parts list for my 904 rebuild and have questions on rear bands. My tranny is a '71 so there are some quirks. First what's the benefit (or not), of using a double wrap 2" wide rear band vs a single rigid band? Secondly, any downside to using relined rear bands. New rigid Raybestos is $37. The price diff for a double wrap is significant, $20 for a relined (by Alabama Bands) - $63 (new Raybestos).

Lemme know your thoughts.

Thanks.

You didn't state whether it's a slant or small block case. Pretty sure you can't swap bands unless the case came with the wider one. I remember trying to donate some parts from my slant 6 trans to my small block trans and I think the low reverse band was narrower on the slant but may have worked with the v8 one, looked like the v8 one would not have fit the slanty case.

+1 on the case issue.. Double wrap seems to be the standard if it will fit. Re-lined is common and fine. Then again, if the rear band looks in good order and has lots of meat on it, you can re-use it. For the front, I'd eyeball the bigger 1 5/8" kick-down band if you can find it/haven't already. Maybe even a 3.8 or 4.2 lever... :D

It's a V8 tranny and a 2 inch wide double wrap is what I pulled out of it. Relined yes/no? Double wrap vs single?

It's a V8 tranny and a 2 inch wide double wrap is what I pulled out of it. Relined yes/no? Double wrap vs single?

No need for redlined. Double wrap and tap yes.

s-l300.jpg

Be sure to check sun gear play while your back there...

Not Redline, re-lined. If a double wrap is the way to go, why? A re-lined double wrap is $37 vs. a new Raybestos double wrap for $64

Not Redline, re-lined. If a double wrap is the way to go, why? A re-lined double wrap is $37 vs. a new Raybestos double wrap for $64

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/transmissions/torqueflite-tom-hand.html

"The 904 uses two different types of low-reverse bands. One type is called a double wrap band, similar to the Hemi kickdown band; it is used with the V8 engines to give greater low-reverse drum holding capability. The other band is a single width band that has less torque holding capacity and is used with six-cylinder engines. The 727’s single width low-reverse band and is used with all engines."

Nothing wrong with the re-lined band. Sold a lot of them over the years with very few issues with the product. There are some bands (the hemi-three piece comes to mind) that are only available relined.
Opinions vary, but a lot of builders I know say that unless it's a performance application, stay away from the Kevlar bands. One even told me the only thing Kevlar in his opinion was good for was stopping bullets.

Woods,
Thanks man, now it makes sense. Double wrap it is. But now there's this kevlar controversy.

If I'm not mistaken the lever to actuate a single vs. double wrap band is different so unless you change that also you can't change the band. For a v8 making any more power than a stock 318 I wouldn't use a single wrap band for the reason stated in the allpar article

Been using the kevlar bands now for over ten years now....Use whatever you want to use...LOL

-
Back