Rear band removal?

-

Orionsax7

Reaction score
I got my 727 apart...how do I take the Rear band off so I get get to the servo and replace the spring with the one in the TF-2 kit? I backed it out all the way but don't see how it is attached. Thanks.

The trans is in the car, by the way.
-Alex

...correction, I don't need to take the rear band off, I just need to unhook the lever so I can take the servo apart? Any ideas guys?

Thanks.
Alex

Nobody? Unfortunately, I have to get the car running today so I think I may not install the L/R spring from the kit. It's the only thing left, the rest of the kit is done already and was actually pretty easy. My wife took the camera with her on a trip, otherwise I would have taken plenty of pics for others.

I'm gonna wait a couple more hours before I button it up so if anyone has any more ideas before than to remove that L/R servo let me know. thanks

-Alex

You cannot remove the band with the transmission assembled/in car. You can back off the adjuster and maybe move it some. but not remove it from the case.

Orionsax7 said:
...correction, I don't need to take the rear band off, I just need to unhook the lever so I can take the servo apart? Any ideas guys?

Thanks.
Alex

as stated above....anyway, now that I decided to just go out and finish it off with the original spring I get under the car and now it's pouring here in houson. I just got rained out and I need the car tomorrow. Should've just finished it earlier instead of searching the net for ways to unhook the band. What to do, what to do...maybe it'll let off later

-Alex

Orionsax7 said:
as stated above....anyway, now that I decided to just go out and finish it off with the original spring I get under the car and now it's pouring here in houson. I just got rained out and I need the car tomorrow. Should've just finished it earlier instead of searching the net for ways to unhook the band. What to do, what to do...maybe it'll let off later

-Alex

Have you checked for the adjuster thats either off the side of the case or inside where your working? i forgot which adjuster is outside of the case. There will be a jamb nut and a stud that keeps tension on the band. Dont forget to readjust it to spec when things go back together..

Orionsax7 said:
I got my 727 apart...how do I take the Rear band off so I get get to the servo and replace the spring with the one in the TF-2 kit? I backed it out all the way but don't see how it is attached. Thanks.

The trans is in the car, by the way.
-Alex

yes I had backed it out all the way. The L/R band is inside the case. It stopped raining and I managed to cleanup under the car enough so it's ok to work. Just layed down some cardboard under there too. Already got the reverse band adjusted to 2 1/2 out..I'm going to adjust the front band out 2 turns and then put everything back together. Hope the rain gods don't show up again, hehe

-Alex

I'm done! Still haven't driven it though because of my next question:

I know for filter change the spec is 4 quarts for a 727. Since I took the valve body out and it drained for 2 days, i feel like a lot more than 4 quarts came out. I only put 4 qts in right now and it didn't budge. RPMs didn't even drop. Just moved little in the drive gears but on-slip-on-slip. I put another qt in and now it definately grabs the gears, rpms drop as they should but level still reads low on the dipstick. I've never had full confidence in this dipstick as far as being the original for this transmission.

1)How many quarts do you think drain out when doing a shift kit?

2)My dipstick sticks out the bottom of the tube into the pan area about 3/8 to 1/2 inch. Is that about right?

Thanks for all the help guys.

-Alex

It depends on how much fluid your converter holds as to how much fluid came out but you can figure on at least 6 quarts and maybe 7 or 8.

As for the rear band, you don't need to take it out to get the servo out. You will have to remove the tailshaft and push the rod out that the lever pivots on. Then you can get the servo out.

Years ago we used to flat rate this operation because the pin o ring would leak. What you do is take a cold chisel and knock the tab off the tailshaft housing that keeps the pin from backing out then push the pin out to reach the o ring with a hooked seal pick by using a long skinny screwdriver above the valvebody to push on the pin. Push the pin back in when done then remove the wire harness clip from the top bolt of the tailshaft housing to transmission case and fashion it to hold the pin from backing out. It works fine and doesn't cause any durability issues. Just to let you know there alternatives. I'm sure there are some here that may say it's butchering but when you are working flatrate, especially for warranty time you do what you have to do.

Oh and your dipstick is fine.

Thanks for all the info. I'll probably go buy a couple more quarts of fluid to be safe but I took it for a drive and the shifts feel great! What a difference. Instead of being persuaded to shift, now it's very deliberate and not overbearing at all when cruising. Thanks for the input everyone.

-Alex

Orionsax7;
If you are still in need of working on the rear band, go to turboaction website and go to the instructions for the 17675 valve body and there are pictures for taking it off and putting it back on....how does not replacing the spring does the tf-2 kit work? I am considering getting the TF-2 kit but the rear band step is stopping me.....Jerry

http://www.turboaction.com/frame.html

-
Back