rear brake choices

-

ne57

Reaction score
What are my options for rear brakes? I bought an empty A body 8 3/4 axle housing and a complete 489 chunk as separate units, basically will build a rear end from parts. Now on to axles and brakes etc.

What do I look for(backing plates etc) if I wanted discs and what if I have to settle for drums? I see there are several diameters and widths?(if i read right) of drums, bigger is better I guess but what if any fitment probs might I run into? If discs are very costly is it really worth it for a street car or will big drums be OK? What's the interchange of brake parts with say b body 8 3/4 ? same brake parts?

1966 Dart, 392 hemi, 727

Many thanks

stock or aftermarket axles? its makes a big difference as far as what drum brakes you can use.

Haven't purchased axles yet. What is the difference re drums?

I found a disc conversion for around the same money as a drum setup. Any probs with discs and whether its a stock/aftermarket axle?

Mixing parts is new territory for me. I don't think I need stronger than stock axles but would consider them if there was an advantage re brakes.

Thanks

Haven't purchased axles yet. What is the difference re drums?

I found a disc conversion for around the same money as a drum setup. Any probs with discs and whether its a stock/aftermarket axle?

Mixing parts is new territory for me. I don't think I need stronger than stock axles but would consider them if there was an advantage re brakes.

Thanks

"stock" small bolt pattern A body 8-3/4 axles require the use of A body 8-3/4 brake assemblies ONLY, even if you redrill them to large bolt pattern. The backing plate offset is different and the drum center register is smaller.
If you go with "aftermarket" axles you can tell the vendor what you plan on using, re: brakes.
You will have a lot of choices if you do not go the stock A body axle route. They can come from almost any large bolt pattern MOPAR rear end.
I dont do rear disc on these cars. Its a waste of money and effort if your not autocrossing, road racing, etc.

Update. I got big bolt A body axles from doctordiff who confirmed they will work with the 11x2 inch drum setups I found cheap. I have to say sometimes 'cheap' is a deciding factor when you consider how very many upgrades/parts are needed for the whole project.
Front discs are on the to do list so I don't think I'm compromising safety with 2inch shoes, they gotta be better than 10x1 3/4 right?.

Ok I just saw

:worthles:

over on the right so here ya go. Some shoes and stuff and it still beats the high price I found elsewhere.

Attachments

• 11x2.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 158
-
Back