Rear brake drums dont fit diff dr axles

-

khaley71

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Hows it going everyone? Ok so I swapped out my 7 1/4 rear in my 71 Swinger to an abody 8 3/4 rear with diff dr big bolt pattern axles. The backing plates and brakes are from a 66 Charger rear I bought that had all brand new brake parts including drums. My problem is the drums do not seat all the way against the axle flange. There is a small lip that it will not slide over. Has anyone eles had this problem? I know the drums are from autozone. I will try to get pictures as soon as I can.

When mine was all mocked up the new rotors did not seat on the axles, had to get them machine to a slightly larger diameter.....

I used Dr.Diff axles on my A body 8 3/4, and used the backing plates drums off an E-body. (Its all I had laying around) No issues. Is it the drum center hole that's having the clearance issue?

Yes its the center hole in the drum I am have the problem with.

I just installed an 8.75 in my Scamp with Dr Diff's axles. No issues at all with my 10x2.5 drums going on. I would also suspect the drum not the axle is the problem....

Hey everyone thanks for the help. The culprits the drums. I dug out the axles from the Charger rear where the drums/brakes came from same thing with them . I went to The Zone and picked up another set of drums and guess what....same thing with those. I guess that what you get when you buy made in China crap. I figured it had to be something with the drums and not the Dr Diff axles I know he turns out some good stuff. Thanks again.

-
Back