rear brake drums

-
That's because nobody has them. The small bolt pattern 10 x 1.75 rear drums are no longer being manufactured (at least by the normal brake vendors -- I don't know where those guys on eBay get them). So otherwise it's a matter of finding some from a guy that has done the LBP swap. Unfortunately, those guys tend to assume that brake drums are scrap iron and let them go to the recyclers instead of hoarding them as cash cows (as they should).

In the old days they used to reline drums -- maybe it's time to find a blacksmith who can do that. Seriously -- I'm in the same boat.

If you do find some with life left in them, do not ever use semimetallic shoes -- you don't want to wear them out. If you have to turn them, tell the machinist to do the lightest possible pass.

As far as I know eBay, Amazon and Craigslist are about the only sources now for new 10" sbp drums.

This. They are not currently being reproduced, completing the metallurgical transition into unobtainium.

A quick check of Rock Auto shows no SBP 10" rear drums, and a grand total of 5 front drums that are listed with the right dimensions.

If you do find some with life left in them, do not ever use semimetallic shoes -- you don't want to wear them out. If you have to turn them, tell the machinist to do the lightest possible pass.

This is just silly. Heaven forbid you actually want to use your brakes to stop your car. No thanks, I'd actually like to have my car stop when I need it to. Easier than explaining to the other driver that you couldn't stop in time because you were using horribly performing organic brake shoes so you could get your outdated drums to last longer.

Wilwood, baer, scarebird or a factory 73+ bbp (5x4.5) setup (which you can get bigger rotors from dr diff).

It looks like I might be able to take a 10" 5x4" front drum (dirt cheap) and cut off the single lip to have it fit my rears. Anyone try this, or know why it wouldn't work?

what is front drum shoe width and drum contact surface width ?

Let me check, I think I have the 10" 5x4" front spindles and drums out in the shop, it will be a hour or two for me to get out there, I am looking at putting these on the front of my 66 /6 car and have bigger brakes.

In the old days they used to reline drums -- .

Tell me about this..........never heard of this.

I DO know about shimming shoe lining to make up for oversize drums, and I used to operate the much hated "arcing" machine

(My Dad , RIP, and I both are lucky we didn't have lung problems)

resize.php

I'll try to locate Craig Studnicks flyer for his number for you! If anybody has them new it would be him! Geof

They don't make em I have a almost new set I had on my scamp that only has 40 1/4 mile passes.

both use the same dia. center register @ 2.350"

001-1.jpg

front drum is .550" deeper

002.jpg

if you had nothing else
it could be made to work
by machining the .550" off the depth

003.jpg

Lets not start this war again ..... I did order these drums and they do work .... BUT the contact surface is slightly deeper than 1 3/4...more like 2 inch.... SOME on FABO DO NOT agree with this .. BUT i have them and have NO issues as of yet ... You make the call ....

NOT making any war

Call it as I see it

If I can spend 10 minutes on the brake lathe to save over $200
I think others
need this knowledge

I had mine drilled for both patterns incase you redrill axles.

Wasn't talking about you Draginmmopar.... And those are REAR drums ... in the photo and ebay

Wasn't talking about you Draginmmopar.... And those are REAR drums ... in the photo and ebay

If cast as a rear drum

There would be NO reason for the machining marks on the out side dia.
or width ?????????????????

As you said>BUT the contact surface is slightly deeper than 1 3/4...more like 2 inch..

I'm out of this topic
Just trying to show alternate idea, if someone needed a drum to get them going again

:burnout:

I'm told I can change to discs in front but I need to change control arms. is there something I might be able to find in a junk yard I can get arms off of and still go to 5x4.5 ?

73+ a body is what you need for upper control arms and spindle.

-
Back