rear brake drums

-
u need different axles to use newer brake parts...also backing plates

Not necessarily. Cass (Dr. Diff) told me he can do one of his rear disk kits with the small bolt pattern for a little more $$.

$600-700 for rear disks is a lot more than the exorbitant drums on Ebay, but wear items will presumably be cheaper and easier to locate in the future.

I bought the drums off of Amazon,and they fit the center register and bolt pattern fine. They did contact the backing plate, so I had a friend machine off 1/8" from the edge and the small flange and have plenty of clearance now.

Not necessarily. Cass (Dr. Diff) told me he can do one of his rear disk kits with the small bolt pattern for a little more $$.

$600-700 for rear disks is a lot more than the exorbitant drums on Ebay, but wear items will presumably be cheaper and easier to locate in the future.

thanks...good to know :)

Don't know if these are the ones you are looking for. I was checking sites to see if anyone had 10" drums
for my 68 fish. They are also hard to find. These seem to be the one that fit mine according to the part # from the Centric site. You could check the Centric site but I don't know if you can order direct from them.
They are kind of pricey drums.

Here's a link to brakes warehouse.
http://catalog.brakewarehouse.com/S...atid=62@@Rear+Friction/Drums+&+Rotors&mode=PA

I bought the drums off of Amazon,and they fit the center register and bolt pattern fine. They did contact the backing plate, so I had a friend machine off 1/8" from the edge and the small flange and have plenty of clearance now.
Sounds like the ones you received were intended for the front, but removing the "snow lip" made them fit like I suspected (post above). If so, easier if you get ones with 1 lip.

If this works -we need a writeup and pictures! After all - a lot of people are not always in the position of dropping $600+ on a rear disc upgrade- no matter how nice it would be.

We talked about this awhile back... you can buy these from a distributor who already machines the lip off... mind you he charges a pretty penny for this service ... BUT the argument on last blog was >>>>> original factory drum to shoe contact service was 1 3/4 inches ... and now with these new drums its roughly 2 to 2 1/2 half inches ... some members were concerned of these replacement drums becoming a liability ....

I have both aftermarket front and rear drums sitting on the shelf. I will pull them and do some photos. It doesn't seem like the fronts could replace the rears but maybe....
Give me a day or so.

Well, It just may-be do-able. I have some photos. Boxed are the REAR drums. Took photos of the box for the Wagner part number. The hand writing was from the vendor I bought them from 8 years ago. In writing is another # that maybe his stocking # I don't know.

Attachments

• IMG_2020.jpg
    63.4 KB · Views: 128
  • IMG_2021.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 124
Next are photos of both front and rear drums the measurement photos came out crappy,dang things kept moving while holding up the drum, tape measure and pushing the button on the camera,,GRRR !!
But the difference is the front drum contact pattern is 2 5/16'' while the rear drum is 2 1/8'' I see now that you can machine off the difference once you have the drums in hand to look at.
The brownish color ones are the front. The shiney silver ones are the rear.

Attachments

• IMG_2024.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_2027.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_2028.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 119
  • IMG_2033.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 117
These are "Aftermarket" replacements front and rear.
Sadly the fronts were on a 64 Barracuda for less than a month when it got "T"-BONED at a red light after a long restoration.So the owner parted the car out.

Attachments

• IMG_2022.jpg
    48 KB · Views: 126
  • IMG_2025.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 122
If you guys want to pay shipping, I have a brake lathe I realize shipping might be a *****, but not all local areas are receptive to this sort of work

Since I have no lathe, my crazy idea is to use my car as a redneck lathe. Mount the drum on a rear axle facing out, and idle the engine to spin that wheel. Hold a hacksaw blade against the lip to cut it off where needed, then flat file to clean the edge real purty.

In Darter6's photo, it looks like the front drum is 2.5" deep, not 2-5/16". However, what really matters is the distance to the inner hub face of the drum. The rear after-market drums look more bell-shaped, but that might just be the photo. You need to cut just enough lip so the drum doesn't rub against the backing plate. Any extra width where the shoes contact wouldn't hurt.

Are 5x4.5 drums the same dimensions other than the drilled bolt circle. I'm thinking that they could be redrilled?

Are 5x4.5 drums the same dimensions other than the drilled bolt circle. I'm thinking that they could be redrilled?
I am pretty sure that the 10" LBP (4.5"D bolt circle) rear drums are a bit wider, something like 2" vs 1.75", but check rockauto's listings. I say this because I bought a "hardware kit" from Autozone for a ~73 Dart (oldest they had) and had to re-use the shoe pins on my 65 Dart because those in the bag were too long. It is OK if the "shoe contact width" is longer in the LPB drums. What matters is if the drum will hit the backing plate, and my guess is it would unless you trim the lip. The later is easier on SBP front drums since the bolt holes are already correct.

So a person would end up doing the same machine work as using front drums PLUS have to redrill. I guess you would only do that if you already had the 4 1/2 bs rear drums.

"If you guys want to pay shipping, I have a brake lathe I realize shipping might be a *****, but not all local areas are receptive to this sort of work"

Wish you were next door LOL!

I want to update my 67 and I am close to max tolerance on my 68. I guess I'll be doing some machining.

-
Back