Rear Brakes locking up

-

ro23dart

Reaction score
Took my 72 Demon out for a trip to the gas station and to do a little shakedown today. Brakes seemed fine at lower speeds but once i needed to slow down faster the rear brakes locked up on me pretty easily. It has drums on all four corners. I checked the parking brake (which works great by the way) to see if it was a little tight but with it out there seemed to be plenty of slack in the cable. My next step is to check the adjustment on the rear. I just wanted to get any ideas/opinions that on anything else i should check. The shoes seemed to be right, little one on the front, big on the back. Could something as simple as being adjusted out too far cause this issue?

It's a good idea to go around all four corners to check and readjust; question I have for you is; have you just done a bunch of brake work?? Master cylinder, wheel cylinders? If so, is the master cylinder really a drum brake MC, and what size are the wheel cylinders? You're dealing with hydraulics, force over area, if the wheel cylinders are a larger diameter than original........even though parts book says it's the right one.....the larger surface area of the piston will generate more force on the shoes and cause lock up.

It's a long shot to be sure, if you haven't done any brake work forget what I said; if you have it gives you something to think about.

Good luck, be safe.

Oooh, thats a good point. I did just replace the rear wheel cylinders but i didn't have any brakes before so i have no frame of reference. Luckily i didnt throw out the old cylinders so i will check them against the new and see if there is any difference. Thanks!

Check the adjustments first, as loosely adjusted brakes can cause the shoes to "cam in" and lock up.

Check closely for wheel cylinder leaks on the wheel that is locking up. If it is a rear wheel you may have a slight axle seal leaking also. Either will cause the brakes to lock up and the tire to skid.

It's a good idea to go around all four corners to check and readjust; question I have for you is; have you just done a bunch of brake work?? Master cylinder, wheel cylinders? If so, is the master cylinder really a drum brake MC, and what size are the wheel cylinders? You're dealing with hydraulics, force over area, if the wheel cylinders are a larger diameter than original........even though parts book says it's the right one.....the larger surface area of the piston will generate more force on the shoes and cause lock up.

It's a long shot to be sure, if you haven't done any brake work forget what I said; if you have it gives you something to think about.

Good luck, be safe.

I re-adjusted the brakes which helped a little bit. But i think you may be on to something. The replacement wheel cylinders are 33597 at autozone and say they are 15/16" bore. The casting number i pulled off the old ones is 3461776 and when i cross reference that it comes up with 13/16" wheel cylinders. I am thinking that that extra 2 16ths could make a huge bit of difference. I was also wondering about my MC. I see some kinda confusing information on it and want to know what kind i have. I know this car has been messed around with a bit. Here are pictures of my ratty MC. I have read that this doesnt mean that it is for front disc brakes as long as it doesnt have the RPV in it.

20170410_100749.jpg

20170410_100806.jpg

Bendix, used to offer a wheel cylinder rebuild kit for the 13/16 cylinders, might still be able to get a kit, might be a good idea so long as the cylinders you have now are not pitted. Some thing to think about.

I just did a quick number crunch, and the 15/16 wheel cylinders add just shy of 25% increase in piston area over the 13/16 wheel cylinder; about the only way to make the 15/16 inch cylinders work is going to be an adjustable proportioning valve on the rear brakes; OR try a set of 7/8 inch dia cylinders.

Good luck!!

-
Back