Rear Buckets for the Missile

-

blue missile

Reaction score
I have been mulling this one over for a year or so.
Would I really need to put seats in the back,would there ever be anybody riding there?
The addition of rear seats REALLY complicates the roll cage issue.
Safety being a top concern, they would have to have three point belts at least.
Then there is the minitub, not as much room as there was to start with.
My wife insisted that we would be taking trips as a family to car shows and the such. BUT she can't take the .5Gs we encounter making the U turn under the freeway without complaining.
I explained to her that this car will be able to do a 90* turn at 60 MPH! She said the "Road Rally/cruise" thing could be enjoyable, I then explained that I was entering the 135MPH class, and unless she wanted to be the navigator, third passengers are not permitted.
I said all of this to say that on Wednesday I went and got two black leather front bucket seats from a Cadillac CTS and have installed them in the back of the Missile! We'll see if they ever get used!
In the mean time they were power everything and sat so high the head rests touched the roof of the car.
By cutting out the glides and all of the power accessories, fabbing up 1/8" steel bases, I lowered them5" and removed 52lbs of crap. I actually weighed the pile of stuff.
I now have 8" between the front of the rear seat and the back of the front one, and also have my rear view back.
The first pic is of the two just stuck in the car, the next few are of the bases I fabbed, and then there is one with mods next to one without. the last two are the finished project.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo157.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 232
  • Photo159.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 225
  • Photo163.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 230
  • Photo164.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 230
  • Photo160.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 234
  • Photo161.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 231
  • Photo162.jpg
    67 KB · Views: 225
  • Photo166.jpg
    70.9 KB · Views: 223
They look great, I think they look better without the headrests...I love this build :toothy10:

ya please dont put the head rest back in the seats also what are you going to do about the over hang on the front of the seats? kinda hurts to have GM product numbers in ma mopar HEHEHEHEHE :)

If I were to put the headrests back I would loose the view out the rear window. As far as the overhang goes its about 2". I would have to take some of the room from the wheelwell gained during the minitub to move the seats back any more. When I stick the wheels back on the next time, I will measure what room is available and make a decision. As I have stated earlier because of lessons learned everything right now is secured with sheet metal screws so it can easily be tweeked.
Andrew

Jr, sorry it took so long to get back to you, here is a pic of the rear seats in place with the rest of the interior.
I have been posting on the main thread in members restorations.
Andrew

Attachments

• Photo524.jpg
    57.1 KB · Views: 119
-
Back