Rear drum adjusters

-

B-i-n-g-o

Reaction score
On Mabel, 63 Valiant, 7 1/4 rear. Looks like later drum mechanism, as it has self-adjusters. I bought for a 65 Valiant, looks right.

But, the adjuster mechanisms both have star to the rear, and both are right-threaded. Is that correct, or should they be threaded opposite (a left and right thread), as, if they're the same, won't the ones on the right rear be tightening the threads instead of loosening?

In the photos, where you see red on the leaf springs is passenger rear, where you exhaust pipe is driver rear.

Thanks,
Steve

PXL_20230425_191639253.jpg

PXL_20230426_221905400.jpg

That is correct for the star wheel adjusters. But as mentioned, the shoes are on backwards.

So, adjusters are left and right specific, so I need to see what's up with that, and swap the shoes front to back, short to the front...thanks, much appreciated!

Oh, on left and right adjusters, is it driver/left is conventional right-hand threads, and passenger/right is left-hand threads? That way, lever is loosening on both sides...correct?

Got it! They gave me two left rears, I rummaged through the boxes...right rear'll be at the parts store tomorrow when I get home from work! Blowing apart the brakes now, to get the left correct and the right ready for tomorrow night!

Thanks again, I appreciate it!

So, adjusters are left and right specific, so I need to see what's up with that, and swap the shoes front to back, short to the front...thanks, much appreciated!
Get the adjusters on so that when you turn the adjuster the star wheel goes DOWN as your looking at it and is expanding the shoes. If that makes sense.

FYI.

The way the adjusters work on the pre 69 mechanisms. (No spring in the cable)

When you are backing up and apply the brakes, the shoes shift a little clockwise on the drivers side and counter clockwise on the passanger side.

This shift causes the cable to lift the lever slightly. If the shoes are enough out of adjustment the lever goes up enough to push the adjuster wheel one click.

If the shoe is not out of adjustment enough the lever returns to its origional position.

So to know if the adjuster is on the correct side and the threads are correct. Imagine the lever pushing down on the adjuster, and rotate the star wheel that direction. If the shoes get farther apart you have the parts on the correct side.

A note about the later years 69 up. The cable has a spring in it and it lifts up on the adjuster, the same principle applies, but in reverse.

68 and older
Screenshot_20230426-192015~2.png

69 and newer
Screenshot_20230426-192124.png

This is from the 67 FSM.

Screenshot_20230426-192840.png

Down load it or a 66 FSM from mymopar.com free download.

Since your rear end has been swapped you need to use the info in later FSMs

Last edited:
Oh, on left and right adjusters, is it driver/left is conventional right-hand threads, and passenger/right is left-hand threads? That way, lever is loosening on both sides...correct?
Yes, on your system, the driver's side has RH threads, and the passenger side has LH threads. Just make sure the cable guide is fully seated into the hole in the shoe. Otherwise, the self adjusting system doesn't work correctly.

Thanks for the heads up! I noticed one of the guides gave me a lot of grief getting it seated, but I think it's there, and I'm redoing the other side this evening, when I pick up the correct adjuster.

Brakes corrected, short to the front. Cable guides locked in, and correct adjusters on both sides! Ready to start new brake lines, dual MC, and disk conversion/front end rebuild this weekend! Thanks for all your help, everyone, MUCH appreciated!

Brakes corrected, short to the front. Cable guides locked in, and correct adjusters on both sides! Ready to start new brake lines, dual MC, and disk conversion/front end rebuild this weekend! Thanks for all your help, everyone, MUCH appreciated!
Good luck with the rest of the job. Be aware of leaks if you are using stainless lines. :thumbsup:

-
Back