Rear End gear Whine

-

ken5124

65 Valiant Signet
Reaction score
Need your help. I have gear whine at 60 KMH, no other speed.
It only whines at a steady speed, if I add throttle it goes away, if I let off it goes away.

8 3/4 cone type , recently added suregrip to existing 276 gear set that did not whine at all before , so I am presuming when I put the ring gear on the suregrip, I did not set the backlash correctly.

I am thinking my Backlash is off. Any thoughts? adjust it for less backlash or more?

Thanks a bunch!!

The pinion gear depth is where your problem lies. Backlash will only cause a "clunk" on accel or decel and not gear whine. Gear whine is cause when the pinion gear engages the ring gear too far or not enough. Check the easy things first. Make SURE the pinion nut is tightened to the proper torque and the crush sleeve is crushed...if it has one. A lot of times you'll find that correcting something in that area will fix it right up.

Sorry, I don't have it apart yet to measure the lash.

Stroker... I didn't alter or remove the pinion nut when I changed from the open to the suregrip, just exchanged the ring gear .. That's why i didn't think it would have anything to do with the pinion depth.

Thanks

Sorry, I don't have it apart yet to measure the lash.

Stroker... I didn't alter or remove the pinion nut when I changed from the open to the suregrip, just exchanged the ring gear .. That's why i didn't think it would have anything to do with the pinion depth.

Thanks

Well it does.

Well it does.

Stroker, the pinion is not the problem if the rear did not whine before as an open and NOTHING was touched on the pinion.
The backlash is the problem... You will have to pull the pig again.

Get a dial indicator with a magnetic base - check the backlash.
if the backlash is .007-,010 you will be good.

Also be sure your preload on the carrier is correct too. IT should not be flopping around between the spanners either...SOMETIMES the spanner will feel tight or bind up making it feel like they are tight when they are not tight against the race as it should.

See what you come up with and get back to us.

IF you are too tight you will get noise and if your way too loose it will cause a noise also ... all depends on how wide the gap is.

Take care and sorry to here the problem BUT you really need to find the problem quick the more driving the worse it will get and you may NEVER get it to go away. Jim

JD Race

Loose backlash can cause gear whine. Had one do that. It was real loose though, around .020" if I remember right. I tightened it up to .007~.008" and gave it a shot and it quieted it right down. Got real lucky it didn't trash the gearset cause I ran it quite a while like that.

I'm going to assume you don't have the dial indicator to check backlash if you don't know where it is. Because the teeth sweep accross each other, a whine can be created by not having the same backlash as you did when you took it apart. My guess is, it's too tight rather than too lose. But you'll have to see. Get a dial indicator. The spec is .007-.010, but a used set may be as much as .012". The trick is to get the reading first, and reproduce it after...

Loose backlash can cause gear whine. Had one do that. It was real loose though, around .020" if I remember right. I tightened it up to .007~.008" and gave it a shot and it quieted it right down. Got real lucky it didn't trash the gearset cause I ran it quite a while like that.

Well yeah....I reckon if it's a MILE out it'll make noise of some sort. LOL I don't even used a dial indicator for backlash anymore. You get the feel of it after a couple a hundred. LOL

When I got my 8 1/4 back from DTS after it was rebuilt with a new suregrip and 3.91's it had a little whine, was told its normal. That was in 1997 and it must have well over 50,000 miles by now, if not much more. Think its better now but maybe I don't notice it anymore ? DTS told me HP gears have a little whine to them

Thanks for all the responses guys..
I have reset the back lash to .008 It was too far off (like a dumas I did not measure before snugging it up, but the movement I felt before was far more than now ) at the correct spec. Using dial indicator.

Will get it back together and test it in the spring..

I am in hibernation now!

You said that you only changed the ring gear? If you still have the original pinion gear in it, that would absolutely cause a whine, or in extreme cases, grinding, clunking noises. Mine whined for two years under light load (not accelerating, and not braking) and is now starting to quiet itself down. I think my gears are starting to wear together.
If you changed both ring, and pinion as a set......then, sorry, hopefully the previous posts help you out.:eek:ops:

had a rear end do that after a gear change drove me crazy couldent find anything wrong turned out to be a bad axel bearing . it looked good but caused a whine at a certain speed .....jimjim

-
Back