Rear end gearing choice for stroker

-

northeastmopar

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
OK, Just pulled my 8.3/4 489 rear end apart. It has the SBP axels and I was going to order the BBP axels. Once apart I found the rear to have 3:55 gears as the build sheet states. I thought that was kind of cool. But I am wondering if the 3:55 gears will be OK in my 416 stroker with a 727 tranny and a TQ converter of about 2800 range for the street and highway driving. Question is would I be better off selling the entire SBP rear with the 3:55 gears and just order a new rear end with the BBP axels and a new rear center chunk with say 3:23 gears. I also should state that I wanted to install some nice 16-18" aftermarket wheels and be able to get some serious beef under the rear without doing any cutting and moving. Does anybody have any thoughts on this topic. For my 72 Demon.......

I say run what you have,if running bigger tires.Just match your gears with your convertor and choosing what cam??(mention all these when buying)for your best results.:burnout:

Yeah, 3.55 is plenty. Cam/stall selection is more important. Especially if you don't have OD.

Yes, with my mild build, larger cam (power higher up in the rpm), and 3.23 gears (power steering/A/C car), it doesn't have as much grunt down low as I expected. A better cam for lower rpm torque would have been better for my build. I'll be looking at maybe going to 3.55 or 3.91 in the future.

A machine shop can re-drill axel and install studs for larger bolt pattern.

Are you going to switch the front over to lbp also? If so contact Dr Diff. He can get lined up on new lbp axles and you will need new brake hardware, drums and backing plates to finish out the conversion.

It is ot safe only leaves 1/4 inch or less to the ends of the axel face
Racers have been redrilling axels,drums for years.Axels can be bought for a price and as said,you,ll have to swap your brakes and backing plates when swapping to LBP.73-up A-body disc brake setup is what I used when swithching from drums up front on my 66 Dart.

-
Back